Hatching chicks from an affair?

LamarshFish

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I have a pair of birds, and really like the male, the female is ok but not great breeding traits. I don't separate my birds, so who they're paired to is who they are paired to, I don't have much control. This one nice male bird has had an affair with a nice hen of mine for months now, and I just saw him fertilizing her, so I wondered if it is worth letting her set and hatch. Anybody know if there would be issues with the cock bird helping out? I would imagine it's very possible to run into that, but not sure.

Thanks

Some cocks will mate with two hens and help with both sets of squabs. Many/most will only help raise the squabs from their primary mate. This is only my experience.

Thanks for the help. I figured that was the case, that it could go either way. It turns out though, that she never laid eggs. I saw them mating, so I thought she'd lay but she did not....

Some cocks will mate with two hens and help with both sets of squabs. Many/most will only help raise the squabs from their primary mate. This is only my experience.

Right, but what about the pigeons? Any info on their behavior in this kind of situation? Oh , wait. never mind.

Back
Top Bottom