Hatching Conures.

nchls school i hope you will make a post when you use the broody serama to hatch eggs that sounds really fascinating
pop.gif

I have always hatched any eggs that the parents wouldn't take care of under foster parents-cockatiels work well. I do not care for incubators unless there is no choice. Next breeding season I'm going to try hatching the conure eggs under my serama bantams. It should work as the bantams are very close to the conure size.

For a brooder I use a heating pad. the chicks grow quickly and it does not take to long before heat is not needed; especially if you have more than one chick. Many conures will breed during the winter. While spring and summer is the usual time, I have had nandays and sun conures nest during the winter. My birds are under artificial lighting and it is spring/summer year around in my bird room.

DUFUS-A SUN-JENDAY CROSS.

THIS IS THE SERAMA HEN THAT I PLAN ON USING TO HATCH THE CONURE EGGS-IT'S A CEREAL BOWL THAT SHE IS BROODING IN, SO YOU HAVE AN IDEA JUST HOW SMALL SHE IS.

How are you planning on hatching the eggs? Do you have a breeding pair? Are you planning on hand feeding?

Chicks have down and are mobile when they hatch and can eat right away. Conures are naked, not mobile and need to be hand fed. How soon do you have to get them away from the serama and start feeding them and since she can't care for them, any chance she could accidently hurt them>
BTW, I have hand fed the babies of several species and find the larger parrots easier to hand feed than the smaller ones. Some of them would scare me,

And the parrot species begin incubation with the first egg or soon thereafter. Poultry eggs not so. I believe this is also a factor. I do not think that parrot specie embryos can survive the time it takes to ship/mail the eggs. When "buying parrot/conure eggs" I have always gone and got them so the incubation process was as normal as possible; uninterrupted.

Yes that's the risk really. I've seen some parrot eggs advertised for £20. I was going to get one to see if it might work?

Chicks have down and are mobile when they hatch and can eat right away. Conures are naked, not mobile and need to be hand fed. How soon do you have to get them away from the serama and start feeding them With this method I will pull the chick immediately and start hand feeding a soon as the chick starts to beg. and since she can't care for them, any chance she could accidently hurt them> Certainly, but less chance than leaving the eggs with my conure pair. I know that they will destroy the egg as soon as it pips. The broody hen is extremely tame making it easy to monitor progress and I would make sure the hatch day would be when I am home. I do not think the hen would hurt the chick. I have used bantams to hatch all manner of eggs in the past. Most have accepted whatever hatched; for a time.
BTW, I have hand fed the babies of several species and find the larger parrots easier to hand feed than the smaller ones. Some of them would scare me,
Larger are easier in some respects, but for someone learning, cockatiels are idea.

Thanks waiting until the summer, if it doesn't work will buy one already weaned I think! :)

That might be easier. When I learned to hand feed, I started with birds a few weeks old then went down to younger and smaller ones as I gained expertise and confidence. And If you lose the first few weeks of life with your conure, they live a long time. Our Nanday was hatched in March '89 making him 27 on his next birthday. And he really isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

That might be easier.  When I learned to hand feed, I started with birds a few weeks old then went down to younger and smaller ones as I gained expertise and confidence.  And If you lose the first few weeks of life with your conure, they live a long time.  Our Nanday was hatched in March '89 making him 27 on his next birthday.  And he really isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Wow! That's amazing! :)

Nandays live a long time. An acquaintance had an amazon that lived over one hundred years. Many of these "parrots" outlive their owners! And the owners children too.

Back
Top Bottom