Hatching Conures.

what all have you hatched under the serama hen ?

The serama are new to me. I've hatched chukar partridge, duckling, various pheasant. pharoah quail, and guinea under bantams. I've hatched bantam eggs under pigeons successfully. I've had cockatiels hatch conure eggs. I've used ring neck doves to hatch damascene pigeons. Most of the time the brooding female has accepted whatever hatched. The most humorous was when the pigeons hatched bantam chicks. The poor pigeons seemed absolutely stymied when the bantam chicks left the nest (they actually followed the chicks and brooded them for a short time). I have very little doubt that the serama will be able to hatch the conure eggs next spring/summer..

what all have you hatched under the serama hen ?

I just spent a great deal of time typing up a post-clicked on submit-and nothing.

The short version. New to serama-have not tried with anything other than their own eggs. Have hatched chickens under pigeons. Guineas, pheasant, ducklings, goslings, chukar partridge, various pheasant species, under chickens. Homing pigeons under ring neck doves. And more.

was the cockatiel able to raise the conure ? they are both hookbills and near same size 

Cockatiels can feed the conure chicks, but they do not brood the chicks long enough after hatching, After ten days or so cockatiels quit brooding their chicks full time as tiel chicks grow faster than conure chicks. After a week from hatching we pulled the conures for hand feeding. If the conure chicks were not pulled from the nest they sickened from lack of warmth. When the cockatiels quit keeping the conure chicks warm enough the babies were unable to digest their food.

so your conures have no desire to hatch there eggs or raise their chicks? im sorry im asking 1000 questions but this has always been neat to me when a species hatches or raises another species in both wild and captive settings i've. Wanted to try hatching quail eggs under my ringneck dove by she never goes broody and has only laid eggs once.

so your conures have no desire to hatch there eggs or raise their chicks? im sorry im asking 1000 questions but this has always been neat to me when a species hatches or raises another species in both wild and captive settings i've. Wanted to try hatching quail eggs under my ringneck dove by she never goes broody and has only laid eggs once.  

Ask all the questions you want. For me, it is fun to be able to help people and answer questions when I can. Does your dove have a mate? With doves and pigeons both parents brood. The doves might not accept quail eggs unless they are white; like bobwhite-like their own eggs. The conures are quick to nest and brood, but when the eggs start to hatch, one of the birds, male or female, destroys the eggs/chick immediately. No matter how close I watch, I have not been able to determine which one is the culprit.

she thinks i'm her mate is the problem
lau.gif
and with the conures have you tried taking the egg out while its hatching and giving them the chick when its done ?

she thinks i'm her mate is the problem :lau  and with the conures have you tried taking the egg out while its hatching and giving them the chick when its done ?

No. One bite and the conure chick would be dead; I'd rather hand feed from day one as there's no way to ensure the chicks safety in trying to give it back to the parents.

Back
Top Bottom