Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just unpacked my GFF chicks and I was shocked when I took the lid off the box. 1 blue columbian Brahma and 13 Partridge Barthuhners.
th.gif
Yup, 13 of those buggers. One didn't make it. Talk about forcing me to move some chicks around. I was expecting maybe 8, you know 6+ but not 13 total chicks.
Wow! I'm so jealous. My last GFF chick shipment included 1 extra chick that died in route.
I think he just angry and bitter and doesn't have a life. He sits with his binoculars and watches our yard day and night looking to add to the dozens of calls to the city. They have yet to cite us for any of them, though I think the code enforcement officer spends as much time at my house as I do. I made one post on BYC asking MN people to submit pro-chicken info to the city council and stating that I believe he had person issues with me; nothing else derogatory. He has tried to make a claim of defamation of character even though I have never listed his name, address or any identifying information at all. How can you defame an unnamed person? I just want to know how a chicken-hating individual came to develop such a keen interest in a chicken forum? He seems to think that I can be bullied even after 5 years of evidence to the contrary. I will continue to be polite and respectful while protecting my property rights. That is good advice for Craigslist. I will do that now.
I sorry you are having such a major problem with your neighbor. I agree with the consensus for legal action. Skip the local police and go to the DA.
My GFF chicks are lost yet again. They are probably burried under the 8+ inches of snow we've gotten since 7 am this morning. I give up. Every box of GFF chicks gets here late with high losses. The chicks were supposed to have shipped Tuesday but didn't get shipped until yesterday. I can't believe GFF didn't know about the impending storm. I'm snowed in. There is no way the PO is going to be able to deliver anything today. I guess I'm just not mean't to have fancy chickens. :(
Oh no! I hope someone takes care of them for you until they can be delivered.
Wish I knew! I've had some of that happening here too. Not consistently, but some batches... :confused: How do the air cells look at lockdown? I wonder if the humidity during the first 18 days might be a hair too low? Just a thought.. I hope you figure it out.. I am going to have to avoid this thread and the swap thread too for a while.. DH found my swap list. :th I have been officially banned from bidding on, arranging new swaps, side swaps or buying any eggs or birds of any kind until the new coop is finished. Completely finished, not almost finished.. I have pushed my luck to the very limits apparently.. out of control. Anything already in que is fine, of course. He wouldn't expect me not to honor anything I've already agreed to or promised but nothing new. :tongue Oh boy.. :smack
I will probably be under similar swapping restrictions if DH finds my swap list. Yikes!

Depending on breed, I incubate at 35-40% humidity and raise to 65-70% during lockdown. Works well for the SFH and the Orps. Marans I use a little lower humidity. I use a Brinsea Octo 20 Advance EX.
Thank you!! I will try raising the humidity a bit.
Use a good bacterial agent. My hatch rates drop if I'm not diligent about cleaning it
I use bleach between hatches to clean the hatcher, is that not good enough?
drop your temp a little bit in the still air for hatch. I work for a poultry company. Our poultry experts recommend about a 2 degree drop for the actual hatch time. In a still air that would be about 99 degrees. It works for me.
Good to know! I will try that!
Wish I knew! I've had some of that happening here too. Not consistently, but some batches...
hu.gif

How do the air cells look at lockdown? I wonder if the humidity during the first 18 days might be a hair too low? Just a thought.. I hope you figure it out..
You might be right the air cells are a little large on a lot of them.

Ok looks like I need to raise the himidity in the first 18 days and lower the temp in the last three. Going to try that and hope it helps!! Thank you all for the help!!!

Okay, need quick advice. 20 or so 10 week olds, just put them outside today. In the 20s tonight, 30s tomorrow but suppose to start getting in 40s during the day and 30s at night. They've been without heat in our basement for a few weeks now. They are in a large wooden doghouse, completely draft free. Eaves are open for ventilation but hard wired. Heat lamp or let them tough it out? They are feathered. Need opinions quickly since it is getting dark.

I would use the heat lamp or else someone is going to get smothered.

Last edited:
Quote: my hubby tried that too grams....I have him talked into going to the auction tomorrow night...lol, I love him so much, he spoils me rotten...in the end I get what I want.
LOL! Nice! See, that's just it. He's SO good to me.. This is coop number 6.. I really don't want to upset him when he actually does set a limit. He's so easy going and loves the chooks too and helps me with them a lot. Just don't want to seem ungrateful, kwim?

Quote:
lol.png
No, the SFH have been doing fine. If only I could get them to up the production to match the demand.
barnie.gif
However, I do also have some BBS Orps that started laying this week that I need to fertility check also. I have chicks running around from that coop, but these are new layers and I want to make sure the roo is getting to ALL the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom