Hatching Help!

lfrances2140

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
I am hatching pheasants for the first time. On Friday, I had about 1/3 of my 150 chicks hatched. 48 hours later on Sunday, I took them out because they were trampling all over the other eggs. I could visibly see several chicks still trying to hatch from their eggs, so I shut the door as quickly as possible. Now, 24 hours later no more have hatched! Do I open it again and try to save the shrink-wrapped chicks? I know all of the eggs that I put in were fertilized, so I am going to be really upset if I screwed up the other eggs I had by opening the door, but I thought it was the best choice because the other pheasants were ready to come out and I felt they were just making the hatching process worse for the other eggs.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If all the eggs were started at the same time, then assist should be started. If you don't know how ask for help of us. Under articles, above, there's a good one on assisted hatch.

Those extra late hatchers probably won't make it anyway. In my experience eggs from the same species set at the same time hatch within 12 hours of the first pip. Sometimes there are stragglers but if they're over a day late it's generally not a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom