Hatching in Classrooms

Hope it all goes smoothly, they did that for the little ones in my daughters primary school, they loved it and the older ones were allowed to see the chicks progress at break, after all the chicken attention I think she was a bit smug we already have chickens. The sales in eggs from the mums at school certainly went up! My main concern is what would happen to them after they had outgrown their initial cuteness but the school informed me that they had an agreement with a local farm but I said I was more than happy to take on away that need homes (no more than one rooster though!) then they told me that they had got them as day olds sexed at birth so they would be easier to rehouse! I really love my daughters school! Wish I could of gone to a school like that. :cd :cd

Hope it all goes smoothly, they did that for the little ones in my daughters primary school, they loved it and the older ones were allowed to see the chicks progress at break, after all the chicken attention I think she was a bit smug we already have chickens. The sales in eggs from the mums at school certainly went up! My main concern is what would happen to them after they had outgrown their initial cuteness but the school informed me that they had an agreement with a local farm but I said I was more than happy to take on away that need homes (no more than one rooster though!) then they told me that they had got them as day olds sexed at birth so they would be easier to rehouse! I really love my daughters school! Wish I could of gone to a school like that.
D.gif
D.gif

That is awesome! I hatch in my classroom as well and the lady I get eggs from takes them back to rehome them appropriately...well the ones I have kept that is LOL!!! I love it and want to hatch bantam cochins with my class this year because I want to have some more
jumpy.gif
So @CharterChick I may look up your seller
thumbsup.gif

I just had my first hatch and it was a tremendously memorable experience. I would have loved to have done that as a kid in school. And if I can do it with my home made cheapo bator fairly easily, I'm sure it won't be a problem getting great results with a real bator.

I do feel sorry for any kid that draws the Marans eggs though, since candling them is basically useless. I could barely candle my RIR eggs, even with an 800 lumen CREE flashlight!

I am selling some eggs to a person to hatch in their classroom so I linked her this thread so she can get some ideas :)

Awesome! This is my first time but there are a couple other classes that want to hatch in the spring.

Today the kids picked an egg number and we candled their eggs. This way they know they are "empty". It only took 2 hours! The Black Copper Maran, Amber White, and Buttercup eggs were all picked. There was a nice variety for the kids.

They were all very excited but one stuck out in my head. He's only 3 (almost 4) and he picked his egg and I told him we needed to keep it safe and put it back. While I was with another student he grabbed the egg out of the incubator behind me and (slowly) walked towards the play doh table. I put away the egg I was holding and explained to him that only teacher and I can touch the eggs. He said, "I want my egg to be safe. I'm putting doh around it. Doh is soft." TOO CUTE! He was trying to protect his egg by wrapping it in play doh! Lol he never made it to the table to wrap it but it was adorable.

Awesome! This is my first time but there are a couple other classes that want to hatch in the spring.

Today the kids picked an egg number and we candled their eggs. This way they know they are "empty". It only took 2 hours! The Black Copper Maran, Amber White, and Buttercup eggs were all picked. There was a nice variety for the kids.

They were all very excited but one stuck out in my head. He's only 3 (almost 4) and he picked his egg and I told him we needed to keep it safe and put it back. While I was with another student he grabbed the egg out of the incubator behind me and (slowly) walked towards the play doh table. I put away the egg I was holding and explained to him that only teacher and I can touch the eggs. He said, "I want my egg to be safe. I'm putting doh around it. Doh is soft." TOO CUTE! He was trying to protect his egg by wrapping it in play doh! Lol he never made it to the table to wrap it but it was adorable.

How is the hatching going? Hope no one dropped any! :cd

How is the hatching going? Hope no one dropped any!
D.gif

Great so far! No drops!
thumbsup.gif

Today the kids came out to our house to see the farm! We own a Christmas tree farm, have a garden, fruit trees, tractors, a horse, 2 dogs, cats, 13 chickens, 5 guinea fowl, and 3 turkeys.

We showed them our wreath making machine and how to make a wreath, explained the trees, went to explain the tractors but they wanted to see the trees so we moved on pretty quick. We got to the trees showed them the different sizes and then FINALLY, the animals!

They were very excited but I told them my birds don't like loud. So we used inside voices. They loved the turkeys and were surprised that the girls didn't say gobble gobble. They liked that my chickens were different colors but were concerned with all the feathers on the ground (molting here a LOT). I showed them one chicken who is still pretty but is starting to molt. She is a SLW and appearently when I picked her up she lost a tail feather. One little boy tried to give it to me so I could "put it back so she doesn't get cold" Very thoughtful! I showed them the nest boxes and one hen was laying her egg. After they saw her egg we went and picked squash and some tomatoes to take back with them.

Then EVERYONE had to go potty! Thank god I have 3 bathrooms! They all got on the bus and I followed them with their wreath and veggies to the school. They were very cute and sang me a song that they adjusted on the bus. Cassie and Ken have a farm EIEIO and on their farm they have a _______...... LOL They inserted everything they noticed that we own!

It was a blast and they are coming back in the spring when the eggs they hatch are grown and we are planting new trees and seeds.

Great so far! No drops! :thumbsup  

Today the kids came out to our house to see the farm! We own a Christmas tree farm, have a garden, fruit trees, tractors, a horse, 2 dogs, cats, 13 chickens, 5 guinea fowl, and 3 turkeys.

We showed them our wreath making machine and how to make a wreath, explained the trees, went to explain the tractors but they wanted to see the trees so we moved on pretty quick. We got to the trees showed them the different sizes and then FINALLY, the animals!

They were very excited but I told them my birds don't like loud. So we used inside voices. They loved the turkeys and were surprised that the girls didn't say gobble gobble. They liked that my chickens were different colors but were concerned with all the feathers on the ground (molting here a LOT). I showed them one chicken who is still pretty but is starting to molt. She is a SLW and appearently when I picked her up she lost a tail feather. One little boy tried to give it to me so I could "put it back so she doesn't get cold" Very thoughtful! I showed them the nest boxes and one hen was laying her egg. After they saw her egg we went and picked squash and some tomatoes to take back with them.

Then EVERYONE had to go potty! Thank god I have 3 bathrooms! They all got on the bus and I followed them with their wreath and veggies to the school. They were very cute and sang me a song that they adjusted on the bus. Cassie and Ken have a farm EIEIO and on their farm they have a _______...... LOL They inserted everything they noticed that we own!

It was a blast and they are coming back in the spring when the eggs they hatch are grown and we are planting new trees and seeds.

Awwwwwwww! How long until the classroom hatch? I'm sure they are all excited ;) are you doing a draw to determine who gets what eggs? What breeds are being hatched? Keep us updated ;)

Back
Top Bottom