Hatching Pheasant eggs???

Cmom,
I have a few questions that I hope you could answer for me.. ( or any other member too)

1. I have a ringneck hen who is currently laying, however, she sporadically lays them all over the pen and not in a nest. The hen and rooster are separated. Idk if you have had pheasants do that, but i don't think it's normal. lol
2. If she doesn't start making a nest (which i don't think she will) i want to gather the eggs and incubate them. - this is where most of my ??? come from..
I attempted to hatch them last year with no success so i would like to know an experienced hatchers thought..
3. I made a Styrofoam incubator with a light and a glass window in the front. I wanted to modify it and add a fan and possibly my own turner so i don't have to keep opening the lid and letting the heat come out.. what do you think on Styrofoam incubators?
4. how do you keep the temp and humidity consistent without it fluctuating dramatically? - i don't have that high of a light wattage..

I think that's all of my questions! ha I hope you can answer them!

Oh, lastly.. if I can't get my pheasant to nest, or my incubator to do its job, what do you think about a broody hen hatching them for me????

Thanks a bunch!

I have a lot of success with my hovabator forced air incubator for not only pheasants, but chickens, guineas, quail, turkey, duck, and peacock. I actually prefer to hatch my pheasant (red goldens) in the incubator rather than letting her set them. I have also had moderate success with letting my broody smaller game hens and bantams set them. I have discovered that my normal sized game hens, which are still smaller than reds, etc., will crush the eggs. I set all the peacock eggs I can under games though, they are excellent mothers for free range.

Back
Top Bottom