Hatching shipped eggs

Thundercreek

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
Has anyone had good luck hatching eggs that have been shipped? I have recently bought some and I was hoping for at least 50% and none of them hatched. My hen sat on them so it was not my hatching error and I know the eggs were good. So I am not sure if I should try it again. I've been told the way they are handled during shipping causes the problem. So what is a good way to ship them?

That's correct, the handling of them during the shipping process can damage the eggs. The air cells can become detached and misshapen causing Sadle shaped air cells. It can also scramble the yolks of the eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 This link has incubation techniques for hatching shipped eggs it also has pics of damaged air cells.

It's reccomended that after receiving shipped eggs you let them settle in egg cartons for 24 hours pointy end down. I've not used a broody with shipped eggs but have have had success with them in the incubator. I incubate them set very upright and hatch in cut down egg cartons so that the air cells stay in position.

Shipped eggs that I have recieved have always come in polystyrene, like an egg carton the eggs sit in the polystyrene then another piece goes over the top of the eggs. The two pieces are then taped together to hold the eggs still.

Hope you have better luck if you try again.

That's correct, the handling of them during the shipping process can damage the eggs. The air cells can become detached and misshapen causing Sadle shaped air cells. It can also scramble the yolks of the eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 This link has incubation techniques for hatching shipped eggs it also has pics of damaged air cells.

It's reccomended that after receiving shipped eggs you let them settle in egg cartons for 24 hours pointy end down. I've not used a broody with shipped eggs but have have had success with them in the incubator. I incubate them set very upright and hatch in cut down egg cartons so that the air cells stay in position.

Shipped eggs that I have recieved have always come in polystyrene, like an egg carton the eggs sit in the polystyrene then another piece goes over the top of the eggs. The two pieces are then taped together to hold the eggs still.

Hope you have better luck if you try again.
Interesting how yours are shipped. I just received my first batch of shipped eggs yesterday. They were just individually wrapped in bubble wrap and placed on their side. The box was also packed tightly with newspaper shavings. Out of 12 eggs, 1 was busted. I've got them sitting now to help them settle. Crossing my fingers they aren't all ruined.
Has anyone had good luck hatching eggs that have been shipped? I have recently bought some and I was hoping for at least 50% and none of them hatched. My hen sat on them so it was not my hatching error and I know the eggs were good. So I am not sure if I should try it again. I've been told the way they are handled during shipping causes the problem. So what is a good way to ship them?
Thundercreek, have you always purchased from the same person? Maybe you could try someone different.

Thanks! I have had eggs shipped on 2 different occasions. Both times eggs came in perfect shape. One had each egg wrapped in bubble wrap and then in an egg carton and that wrapped. The others were in an egg carton packed with newspaper shavings inside and around the outside. I did not let them sit for 24 hrs so maybe that caused the issue. The first time I did hatch about 50%. I will check out that link and will try again! Thank you again!! Great suggestion on how to ship them

I had a 100% hatch with my shipped muscovy eggs under my muscovy hen. The rest of my chicken eggs ran under 50%. A lot of it has to do with the way they are packed IMO. I ship eggs as well and I always double box mine. Some of my buyers have had 90 % hatch rates. Others lower. It is a gamble.

The first shipped eggs I set came wrapped with care. No cracks or breaks. The air cells looked good. They all were fertile at first. None hatched because of a faulty heater element in my incubator. So I tried again. The the second batch of eggs came in good shape. But the air cells are saddle shaped which means they weren't handled with care by USPS. Only two out of eight are developing. But that's twice as many as zero so I'm hoping all goes well. If these don't hatch I'm trying again and again and again. I read that being a good farmer means dealing with failure dusting yourself off and then trying again.

I am going to try again because I just can't seem to give up. I always have to keep researching and trying. Heárd some great ideas so I will try again!

Back
Top Bottom