Hatching some mountain quail

Wolrep

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
I have 15 mountain quail eggs that should be hatching in the next few days. I can't wait. Are they like other quail where they wait till everyone is ready to hatch and hatch or do the hatch spuraticaly?

If you started incubating them at the same time, they should hatch about the same time (give or take a day). I've noticed that the peeping sounds of those that hatched first encourages the others to hatch out too - which would be understandable since in nature, they gotta hatch out or get left behind by the mother quail.

Mine hatch within a couples days of each other usually late day 24 to late 25 and even into day 26.

Got 5 so far

I am looking for a breeding pair of mountain quails -we used to have them around my neighborhood until the coyotes moved in. I miss them and now that the coyotes have moved on, I thought I would try to release them. Does any one have experience with this?

Hi,
I was interested in a breeding pair of Mountain Quail. Currently, I raise Valley and Gambel quail, but discovered recently that, at one time, Mountain Quail were found in this area. I have watched the number of valley quail on the ranch decrease over the last few years, and fear they will disappear as well. My goal is to possibly make a difference by keeping both breeds numbers up, if only in captivity for the time being. I hope you have a pair you think will be right for my breeding program.

Thank you,
Tracie

Hi,
I was interested in a breeding pair of Mountain Quail. Currently, I raise Valley and Gambel quail, but discovered recently that, at one time, Mountain Quail were found in this area. I have watched the number of valley quail on the ranch decrease over the last few years, and fear they will disappear as well. My goal is to possibly make a difference by keeping both breeds numbers up, if only in captivity for the time being. I hope you have a pair you think will be right for my breeding program.

Thank you,
Tracie
If you want breed mountain quail as a hobby, that is great, but I do not suggest you keep them for purposes of releasing them into the wild because (1) domestic-raised birds have a low survival rate in the wild due to not having learned foraging skills, predator avoidance, as well as water locations. It will be a wasted effort because you'll just be feeding the predators and if they don't get taken down by predators, they'll die of thirst or hunger; (2) where there are native populations of mountain quail, biologists have grouped them into subspecies based on minor plumage characteristics. In the very low probably that if one does make it, it might contribute unwanted genes into the population; (3) if any survive, they may transfer diseases that may be detrimental to local native populations.

Just curious, which area do you live in?

Back
Top Bottom