have you ever seen a barred rock with green feathers

My two BR hens have very red combs and wattles like in your picture. They too have the green sheen in the black barred part of the feather but nothing in their tail feathers. The color in the barring is very slight and you have to catch it just right in the sunlight. I'm assuming they came from a hatchery. They were full grown and laying when I got them.

I had some Bantam BRs that had the occasional black feather pop up. After their first molt, they had even more. I was told it was a problem in a lot of lines of the Barred Bantams.

i know this is an old thread but does anyone know the causality of the beetle barring? this is the only place anyone has talked on the topic known of to date, perhaps its a specific gene that can be breed out? currently breeding heritage barred rocks for the standard of perfection and have encountered such green barring on a few of the prime breed stocks. i guess the question i have to ask is, if that trait is a fluke in the genetic coding of the girls or is it a predominant trait that will carry over if not culled consistently to eliminate. either way i find the trait to be about one in every 16 girls no matter if the parents had it or not. seem to me it's a fluke, but i can't find any info on it. any advise is always wanted!

i know this is an old thread but does anyone know the causality of the beetle barring? this is the only place anyone has talked on the topic known of to date, perhaps its a specific gene that can be breed out? currently breeding heritage barred rocks for the standard of perfection and have encountered such green barring on a few of the prime breed stocks. i guess the question i have to ask is, if that trait is a fluke in the genetic coding of the girls or is it a predominant trait that will carry over if not culled consistently to eliminate. either way i find the trait to be about one in every 16 girls no matter if the parents had it or not. seem to me it's a fluke, but i can't find any info on it. any advise is always wanted!
There is a breeding standards board, I'd ask on the barred Rock thread there to see if there are any other breeders about. Here, the audience is much broader and you may get more answers but they aren't likely to be from the people you're trying to find.

20180721_120722.jpg

Back
Top Bottom