have you ever seen a barred rock with green feathers

If you post a pic of the bird we may be able to help you decide if you think it may be a boy, I have had black pekin bantam hens that had a green sheen to their feathers.

We'd need to see what you're talking about so please post a picture of the bird for us, full body shot. Are they solid black with green sheen or sheen in the black barring? Many black sex link males will have solid black-with-green-sheen feathers in the tail and wings. A couple of my BR hens have one solid colored black feather in the shoulder or chest.

Wow i didnt realize there were so many oprions for this or i wohld ha e posted a pic. I will get one and post it later. If it makes a difference i have never seen her try to mount anything

Here is a BR pullet with a small solid black chest feather, which is actually rather common-had both breeder quality and a hatchery hen with the same feather in the same location:

Had a pure BR rooster with one almost solid black tail feather (they appear green due to the sheen of a positive black hue)--I know he was a pure BR as he was hatched here and I owned his parents, so it happens on occasion that one will have defective barring on a feather even if he's not a BSL. Doesn't make him great quality, yeah, but it does happen.

Here is a BR pullet with a small solid black chest feather, which is actually rather common-had both breeder quality and a hatchery hen with the same feather in the same location:

Had a pure BR rooster with one almost solid black tail feather (they appear green due to the sheen of a positive black hue)--I know he was a pure BR as he was hatched here and I owned his parents, so it happens on occasion that one will have defective barring on a feather even if he's not a BSL. Doesn't make him great quality, yeah, but it does happen.
Interesting Speckledhen :) Never saw it myself before.

Do you think that will make it a hen or a roo or is it just a random thi g? And yes most of the green sheen is actually where the black on the barred feather is and its mostly on the back and near the tail.exceptht one totally solid green one.

We'd still need to see a photo to be of a lot of assistance.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom