Have you ever smelled your chickens?

thankyou for posting all of this, last week i went through and clipped the wings on my most notorious egg hiders, and i noticed that most of them had a strong B.O. but never really thought anything of it, theyre chickens right. read this and i immediatly went outside and who would have thought, half my chickens have lice... so its been a fun morning of sevin shaking

Last edited:
I love this place.
love.gif

Not only is chicken weirdness tolerated, it is encouraged.

Can't say I've ever smelled my chickens. The way I'm prone to developing allergies to my animals if I sniffed them directly I'd probably become allergic to them.

Quote:
My husband always said that their beagle's feet smelled like corn curls...I have never really smelled my dogs' feet...guess I will have to (someday if they are ever clean enough!) Right now I am going outside to get a nice whiff of "horse" and then go for a ride!

Okay - ya'll are CRAZY! and it's CONTAGIOUS!! Went outside to put my chicks on their roost (changed it and trying to retrain em) - and ended up smelling my rooste r- and he smells pretty nice.. guess thats a good sign... thought it would be good to smell em while they are healthy -maybe I'll get lucky and know if they are under the weather by the smell like I do my kids...

I am NOT smelling my dogs feet though - he plays too much in the chicken yard... and i already know what chicken poop smells like!

There is no straight jacket smiley----
ya.gif
wee.gif

And as though this thread couldn't get any crazier; tonight I noticed that my SLW cockerl smells different from my BO pullets. He decided he wanted in the 'premier' snuggling spot on my neck this evening so I could really get a good sniff and it is definately different. Not a bad smell, just different. Anybody else notice a difference between their hens/cockrels/different types of chickens?

Here's a pick from last night at snuggle time. You can only see his feet in the photo:
55921_snug.jpg

That is a great picture.
smile.png
My girls like to neck snuggle too except for Gracie - she always goes for the armpit! LOL

I haven't smelled Henry - I will have to try that tomorrow and see if he smells the same as the girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom