Have you ever smelled your chickens?

I was having a problem trying to take the pictures last night. I usually use (and need) both hands to hold the chickens in the 'snuggle position'. They actually seemed a little put out that I was only using one hand!

Last edited:
Chickens have that natural smell...sorta like worms ....earthy, and yet, sweet.
smile.png

I was 5 years old (and we won't discuss how long ago THAT was!) when I first discovered how sweet and wonderful chickens smell. Grandma's chickens always smelled so good! I loved collecting the eggs and just hanging out in the barn with the girls. Grandma used the deep litter method and taught me to also use it when I got my first chickens, and I've never had bad odors in the coop.
Animals that are clean, in good health and fed wholesome food will small good. Any animal. Okay, well, maybe not the goat bucks, I've had those and no amount of bathing will help them. They pee in their own beards, fer cryin' out loud!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Oh, they KNOW we're nuts.
big_smile.png
We do the same deep bedding technique with ours. It's been six months and the coop doesn't smell like chicken poop. There is a distinctive smell, but it's not an unpleasant smell. It's chickens. Of course, I'm one of those people who also love to smell my dogs.

Yes, on a rainy day- funky but not unpleasant. Now chickens being processed and dipped in hot water to aid in removing the feathers, and then the hairy little feathers being scorched off- that's an unpleasant memory from my childhood.

i remember as a kid owning a few parakeets and i remember the smell of their feathers quite well. and now that i have chickens i realize that smell is mostly from their feathers and oil they create from the gland. but yes, the chickens still have that unique 'earthy' smell mixed in too! i just LOOOVE to snuggle my sweet chickies and catch that neat smell! must be why i have my therapy sessions with them quite often!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom