Keeping the smell down

rcm1201

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
New Orleans, LA
I live on a small lot in a neighborhood - wife wasn't thrilled out the idea of chickens but we have them now and I'm trying my best at keeping the smell away. Short of changing out the coop shavings/run pine straw every few days, are there any other suggestions? Any products I can spread out to keep the smell away?

Edit: Coops is 5x4 and run is 12x5 - 5 chickens currently.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/brand/Sweet+PDZ?&srch=sweet pdz

Some folks spread this on the floor others use drop boards with a thin layer and remove droppings daily or at least every few days.

I am in the latter group; A $12 bag lasts over a month on my drop boards with ~20 chickens. I change coop bedding once per year, because it becomes dusty not smelly. You can move the bedding into your run or into compost pile that then becomes excellent fertilizer for the garden. I also move the droppings into the compost pile.

Last edited:

Some folks spread this on the floor others use drop boards with a thin layer and remove droppings daily or at least every few days.

I am in the latter group; A $12 bag lasts over a month on my drop boards with ~20 chickens. I change coop bedding once per year, because it becomes dusty not smelly. You can move the bedding into your run or into compost pile that then becomes excellent fertilizer for the garden. I also move the droppings into the compost pile.
Thanks, I went today and grabbed a bag. Will try that out

What kind of bedding are you using in your run and in your coop? Also, can you show a picture of your drop boards? I am SUPER interested in doing that as well but Im not exactly sure the best way to build them (new chicken Mom- I have 8...)

In the run I use coarse wood chips in combination with deciduous leaves collected in the fall; i add more leaves annually as they become available. I literally collect enough to add a couple of feet of leaves, the chickens tear through it and in a couple of days have it where and how they like it but then change their minds and redistribute all over again. Great fun to watch. I know that others use pine needles or whatever they have available.

@aart recommends ramial wood chippings as the best.

In the coop I use pine wood shavings and straw in the nest boxes. The most common drop board/roost setup that I see on BYC is like a table with a flat 2x4 mounted ~10-12" above. @jthornton has a great setup but I can't find a picture at the moment, I am certain he will add a picture when he sees this.

My drop board is currently 3 horizontal roosts each 10 feet long. 1st roost is 12" from the wall and then 12" to the next roost, front lip of the board is 6" out from the 3rd roost. I don't have a picture of current setup but I started with 2 roost and then expanded. 2 roost setup is:

image001.jpg image007.jpg

I live on a small lot in a neighborhood - wife wasn't thrilled out the idea of chickens but we have them now and I'm trying my best at keeping the smell away. Short of changing out the coop shavings/run pine straw every few days, are there any other suggestions? Any products I can spread out to keep the smell away?

Edit: Coops is 5x4 and run is 12x5 - 5 chickens currently.
Some photos of the inside of your coop would help.

JT

Back
Top Bottom