Having a broody hen raise chicks: eggs or babies?

What should we give our hen to raise chicks with?

• Chicks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eggs

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
I want to let or dedicated broody raise baby chicks. Which is the best way to go about that? Giving her straight chicks, or letting her hatch eggs?

Absolutely let the broody do the hatching. We will never replicate the incubation practices of a good broody no matter how good an incubator we invent.

Saves you a lot of hassle, too. She is literally made to do this work.

I think hatching would be amazing! I went with chicks because I wanted to ensure I'd get pullets. But if I didn't mind having cockerels or could find homes for those I ended up with, I'd have gone with eggs. But I had no problems putting a baby under my broody, and I plan to do it again if the timing is right.

BTW - A lot of hatcheries ship eggs, but I understand it's better to get them from a reputable breeder (better hatch rate). You might check your state's forum or the swap forum.

Forgot to add my fave hatch mishap: My sister has a hen who hid a brood of eggs in her barn. The hen went missing, and my sis thought predators had got her. The hen emerged a few weeks later with 14 chicks - ALL cockerels... She ate a lot of chicken dinners that year.
:th

sure hatcheries will sell you eggs, but at a great inflated price.
go local . stay away from shipped eggs if possible. if you can, go pick up the eggs in person..
some hens will accept any chick, and some hens will not accept any chick.
the biggest problem is getting an introduced chick to stay with the hen..

never plan on rehoming extra roosters. hardly anybody wants them except to eat them..
If you give a rooster away, it has to be with no stipulations.
notice I said GIVE.. you will have a real hard time selling them.

All I can say is whichever you choose, it's going to be awesome!
20190425_183310.jpg

Back
Top Bottom