Having problemss with my flock. (Rooster Just died)

Here is where they live. The first picture is before I put the nesting box doors on. The pictures are before it was completely finished but they are the ones I had readily available to give you an idea of the facility. When I built it I figured I had room for about 25-30 birds but with the problems I am having if I can't get it under control I can't see adding any more birds.

Last edited:
Ok I thought I was doing good with the extras I will check the feed to see the protein percent and report back. I get some feed from the food bank that is donated and I use it for the birds when I can get it I also buy food from another source so they get crumble from 2 different brands. I can't always get the food from the food bank but it helps on cost since I donate 90% of the eggs what I don't eat.

Mike

Ok I thought I was doing good with the extras I will check the feed to see the protein percent and report back. I get some feed from the food bank that is donated and I use it for the birds when I can get it I also buy food from another source so they get crumble from 2 different brands. I can't always get the food from the food bank but it helps on cost since I donate 90% of the eggs what I don't eat.

Mike

Sorry, the dollars your saving on feed are compromising your flock.....Good feed at 17% and no more feeding other stuff will improve your overall health of the Birds..Also give some oyster shell....free choice...Water at all times.....

Last edited:
Here is what I feed them. I keep layer crumble in the run available at all times. I give them a big cup of scratch and a big cup of cracked corn and a half cup of meal worms each morning. The cup is a very large coffee cup probably 16 Oz size. We also give them vegetables and misc other stuff we save from the house and my wife gives them greens and stuff from the grocery store they sell bags of stuff that are getting old for cheap none of this is spoiled we don't feed spoiled food to them. I am up for any suggestions on nutrition.

Thanks Mike
Hi, Mike. I agree that low protein is your issue. Assuming that your birds each eat .25#/day, that totals 4.25# of feed. And if you are giving them 2# of scratch/corn they are only getting 2.25# of layer, which others have stated, and I agree that layer is minimal nutrition to start with. Based on my calculations, that brings their protein content to 14.11%, not counting the kitchen scraps you are providing, which most likely are also low protein.

As for behavior, some things you can do include: making a deep litter compost in your run, give them some hay bales to work on, Give them plenty of multi height areas, and options to get out of line of sight from each other. Put some perches in their run.

18% is for Hybrid layers......Not heritage breeds....
smile.png

Cheers!
In my experience, a minimum of 18% protein is healthy for all breeds. It's the commercial sexlinks and those sorts that actually do best with the lower 16% feed.

18% is for Hybrid layers......Not heritage breeds....:)

Cheers!

In my experience, a minimum of 18% protein is healthy for all breeds. It's the commercial sexlinks and those sorts that actually do best with the lower 16% feed.

Actually it's the older layers or even silkies that do well on 16%.......not contradicting you..:).....But I really do know what I am talking about...;).....Not just blowing air...:)

Something to think about...;)......What are Birds covered in???.......Feathers....Right...what are feathers?...Protein right..?......Chickens need protein...Wild birds can balance out their protein intake daily...Cooped Birds need help.....thinking that scraps, scratch and what ever else is good for them is losing the nutritional value to the feed...If not fed the proper amounts in protein they start eating feathers....Protein.....;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom