HAWK ATTACK

stephcraig78

Songster
Apr 18, 2016
Rolla/St. James, MO
18161CE8-2819-41BC-B79B-81C40D4640BD.jpeg Well I just had my first lose due to a red tailed hawk. I’ve seen one hanging around over the past couple weeks. Also a huge owl stalking around. I look out my window and see an enormous hawk on the ground near my smaller pen. I ran out and it flew off. On the ground where it had been were a million feathers and the headless body of my momma silkie hen. She just got done hatching 6 beautiful silkie sizzle chicks. She was the sweetest, gentlest, loving little girl. I hate that it’s illegal to protect our birds from predators like this. If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep hawks away please please let me know. I am keeping all my birds locked up till I can be sure it’s moved on.

Attachments

• 95B26486-1726-420C-AAE1-2404F4A2A206.jpeg
    95B26486-1726-420C-AAE1-2404F4A2A206.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 36
You'll have to cover your runs. Silkies are not really equipped to escape from predators as those poofy heads get in the way of seeing. So sorry your lost such a lovely hen in such a manner. It is truly shocking and at times you want to slap Nature in the face for being so cruel.

I am so sorry... we just had one our ducks attacked, thankfully she's still alive but we're definitely adding a lot more precautions. I've been looking up hawk deterrents too and most people suggest old cd to reflect light and scare them.

What I suggest is to build a nice big run that is well fenced and predator proof as you can get it, and then put a net over it. That's what I did. Now when the hawks stop by (the National Forest is right across the street, we have tons of hawks and owls) I just enjoy them.

If you watch videos of hawks in action, they are amazing flyers and can fit through the tiniest hole among the bushes and trees. Putting up CDs on fishing line, or plastic owls etc, may initially astonish them but they will become accustomed to it and they will attack again. They are highly intelligent and persistent predators, I guess I can't really blame them for wanting to eat, and alas, chickens are pretty easy to catch. Heck, even _I_ can catch one.

Really sorry for your loss... that is just so heartbreaking. :(

View attachment 1254915 Well I just had my first lose due to a red tailed hawk. I’ve seen one hanging around over the past couple weeks. Also a huge owl stalking around. I look out my window and see an enormous hawk on the ground near my smaller pen. I ran out and it flew off. On the ground where it had been were a million feathers and the headless body of my momma silkie hen. She just got done hatching 6 beautiful silkie sizzle chicks. She was the sweetest, gentlest, loving little girl. I hate that it’s illegal to protect our birds from predators like this. If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep hawks away please please let me know. I am keeping all my birds locked up till I can be sure it’s moved on.
So sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. My heart breaks for you. :hit:hugs

Thanks we absolutely love silkies and she was such a gentle little thing. An amazing mom who in below zero temps sat vigilantly on 17 eggs to start in our garage. Ended up with only six live chicks but she did an incredible job caring for them. As far as a screen on top of run I don’t know how we could manage it. Our birds free range our very large large and have always loved roaming our property. We don’t have wooded area on our land but there is a good chunk of woods right behind our neighbors place so I know that’s where all the predators are coming from. What shocked me was our very protective tom turkey was standing a few feet away as the hawk sat feasting on the ground. Totally not like him to not jump on anything near the girls. Gonna research a little more and hopefully figure out an in between of keeping them penned and letting them roam freely. Thank you all for any suggestions and your sympathy.

We are currently in the same dilemma... our ducks love to be out, even if they are snoozing under a bush. However, this is the second time a hawk has attacked (last time they managed to get away), and I'm not willing to take any more risks so they're only let out if someone is outside or diligently watching the cameras. If I think I'll get distracted, even for a second, it's better to have them in the run and alive then loose and dead.

Hi Steph.. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your momma silkie! I have lost a hen and 4 babies this season to the hawks and I agree it is terribly disappointing and frustrating. We do love the hawks, they are beautiful creatures, but I confess I do want to also protect my flock!!

I can say that as a temporary measure I have done the following - so far with success (no losses since I did this):

I took a length of garden shade cloth and I used cable ties to fix it to the fence at about my thigh height, then I pulled it out from the fence at a bit of a downward angle and pegged it out with short garden stakes (think tent awning style but on a downward angle). Now it looks like a bit of a tunnel with a small chicken height gap for them to zip under it at any point. I put their food and water right at the edge of it so they can eat and drink without coming out in the open if they want to.

My long term fix - I've ordered a whole truck load of Heobe bushes and will be planting those both around the outer edge of their run (which is huge) and a few island ones in strategic places. The idea being that they will have shade, cover, and the hawks will find it difficult to swoop in from on wing. If the hawks do land - they won't have an easy time getting around the bushes - whereas the chickens can speed their way through and under those no problem.

We have also been feeding the hawks in an area WAY away from our chicken run. Husband has been out shooting pukeko's lately (a pest in our area) and leaves the bodies out in the other paddocks so the hawks can have a scavenge without going after the chickens. Again this is a bit of a temporary measure.

About the bush, I wouldn't consider a completely foolproof method... our ducks were sitting under their bush when the hawk attacked. in fact they were standing outside and watching it and quickly ran into the bush. The hawk still managed to get his claws on one and could have killed her. I always thought the bush was their safe place - that's like their home, but I seriously underestimated what a hawk will do...

Back
Top Bottom