hawk attack

I operate at hobby level. Sales limited to adult birds used for laying. Market targeted dominated by backyard folks not interested in rearing their own birds (city slickers mostly). Located just outside the state capitol.

120 birds is a big "hobby". Do you find the market for adult birds growing?
With all the self sufficiency craze going on partially brought about I think by a lack of trust in government, seems more and more people are trying to find ways to fend for themselves. Then you have the organic food craze where people are growing more of their own food for health reasons.
Having a few chickens around partially solves those concerns.

Self-sustaining requires bigger and more diversified than I am. Government is generally not the problem, rather it is crazy neighbors (a minority) that are scared of everyone else including the government.

Hey! I'm new here and actually had a hawk attack one of my hens 2 days ago. We couldn't find her and thought she'd died, but she came home yesterday, 22 hours after the attack with a very serious wound, like most of the flesh on her left breast is gone. I will clean the wound today, but do I keep it dry or put Neosporin on it or what? Any advice appreciated! I tried to start a new post but it didn't work. Thanks!B]

Sorry to heat about the attack. Vetericyn antibiotic spray is a good product for wounds. Might also consider an antibiotic additive to her water and keep her isolated from other birds who might pick on her wound. Just curious how big a bird is she?

thanks! She is about 5 months - a white leghorn-started laying about a month ago. Another one missing the same day and found feathers in back pasture so she's probably gone. The injured one is in a cage in the coop but was very alert and eating this morning. I am working a double shift today but will get meds tomorrow. Will call the feed store where I got some of my chicks. Thanks again!

Vehve
Ok if you want to get all technical it is not produced nor does it work like penicillin but it is an effective antimicrobial, inhibiting bacteria and fungi maybe even some viruses. It is way over priced but I have used on our horses, dog, and birds with success. Out of curiosity what is your profession?

Back
Top Bottom