Hawk Solutions?

I'm not sure how well the disco ball idea would work. Like I mentioned above, I tried CD's (lots of them) and they had no effect. Aluminum foil in a beer bottle doesn't seem to work either. Fake snakes and owls seem to be a waste of time. I'd consider getting the appropriate "Depredation Permit" but that doesn't do any good if they aren't in range.

BTW, I looked up the laws that Brian Rinaldi posted. Those statutes are for Texas. I also looked up the laws in my own state (Arkansas), and it looks like one has to get a federal Depredation Permit to deal with hawks. Information on how to do that is contained in the thread that Phoenixsw posted above. Doable, but I was hoping for an easier and more local government solution. The whole works seems like more trouble than it's worth. I guess totally birdnet-covered runs are the only surefire option.

We have so many hawks around where I live. It is so frustrating. I feel like we can never let them just roam around without constantly being on the lookout.

Last edited:
"1. Don't discuss killing any raptor on the internet.

2. Purchase fence posts.

3. Dig post hole.

4. Put non-discussed item in bottom of post hole

5. Put post in hole.

6. Add concrete mix.

7. Fill remainder of hole with dirt.

8. Act like nothing happened.

9. Keep mouth shut."

Brian Rinaldi....I like how you think.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know if there are a lot of Hawks in Florida? Just curious if anyone in the Pasco/Hernando area might know. I have only had chickens for 9 months and have had 4 out if 9 killed already but they were by dogs that got in my yard and hopefully that is taken care of. Anyway, we just saw a rat by our 5 month old chicken cage (at night) and wondered what we can do about this and will they hurt our girls and boy?

There are a lot of hawks in Florida. They are migrating birds and so fly south for the winter. I find we have the most losses (and so no free-ranging babies) from about now through March. Hawks are nesting and hatching young right now and are very persistent. There are LOTS of Cooper's Hawks and some red tailed hawks. We are in Brooksville, so "howdy" neighbor!

Hey sjisty! I am in Shady Hills, Neighbors for sure!

Our chickens that we actually raised (we got them from Rural King in September) just started laying, the kids and I were excited to see eggs!I read that keeping them alive was the hardest part of raising chickens and I find this to be so true. We keep the coop on our porch next to our kitchen window and saw an Opossum last night near the coop! We also saw a mouse! Do Opossums try to get chickens or are they just looking for their eggs/food? Our chickens live in a small coop at night and are let out during the day, as long as someone is home. I've learned a lot from this forum and really appreciate the responses!

Hey sjisty! I am in Shady Hills, Neighbors for sure!

Our chickens that we actually raised (we got them from Rural King in September) just started laying, the kids and I were excited to see eggs!I read that keeping them alive was the hardest part of raising chickens and I find this to be so true. We keep the coop on our porch next to our kitchen window and saw an Opossum last night near the coop! We also saw a mouse! Do Opossums try to get chickens or are they just looking for their eggs/food? Our chickens live in a small coop at night and are let out during the day, as long as someone is home. I've learned a lot from this forum and really appreciate the responses!
Opossums,Skunks, Racoons, Coydogs,Coywolfs these are the most common ones i run into all of them see chickens as a meal

I don't have chickens yet, but I do live in a house that has owls and hawks around. I am wondering if you all put your chickens in a coop at night, or do you leave them out? Would the hawks be able to get into the coop? (I know these questions probably sound stupid, but I have no idea how to work with this, but want to learn). Thanks.

"1. Don't discuss killing any raptor on the internet. 

2. Purchase fence posts. 

3. Dig post hole. 

4. Put non-discussed item in bottom of post hole 

5. Put post in hole. 

6. Add concrete mix. 

7. Fill remainder of hole with dirt. 

8. Act like nothing happened. 

9. Keep mouth shut."

Brian Rinaldi....I like how you think. :D

In my neck of the woods, this is called SSS. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

This will work, unless you get caught, then you will be mortgaging your property to get your butt out of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom