Hawks having a feast (graphic photos)

The hen is in great spirits - it's just on the first and second days after she was attacked, she didn't make any pain noises. Now when I move it or pick her up, she makes a purring noise only til she's settled. But she's eating, drinking and looks happy.

The guaze stuck to the leg now, so I'm scared to clean it. I'm going to soak her in a tub today, for about 20 minutes and see what it looks like. I've had it wrapped up for a few days - I'm scared to see what's under.

I also did put a call into a guy who I know does smaller farm animals, like pigs and goats - I'm going to find out if he sees chickens too.

^^^thanks. We will probably allow our hens to free range when we are home. I hope I don't get too attached to them like I know the rest of my family will lol. I have seen a lot of free ranging chickens in Indianapolis the last 6 weeks since we decided to do this!
I think free ranging is okay - the problem with me is I have 10 acres of OPEN field - no place for them to run and hide. I have planted trees in the meantime - but they take a while to grow. I'm going to do butterfly bushes since they grow fast - But you know, the hawks are smart man.

^^^Yes about the hawks. We've seen their behaviour, they are not dumb by any means. We don't have 10 acres, just a little over 1/2. Plenty of cover for the hens, but still the hawks are around! 10 acres with not much cover makes for some easy prey lol.

Last edited:
My Great Pyrenees
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453

I have a Fort Knox 8'x7' coop covered in plywood and hardware cloth with a hardware cloth skirt on the ground all the way around it. I added a 12'x8' hoop run to it and it is covered in hardware cloth with a 2' wire skirt on the ground all the way around it. Even though we live in town, we have hawks, coons and possums, not to mention the feral cats the lady next door feeds. They don't free range in the yard. Today for the first time we let them out under the supervision of our Great Pyrenees who was given to us because she killed chickens. It has been a long road to get her to this point. Even though they were locked up tight, she patrolled the yard and kept predators away. Nothing gets in our yard. Nothing.

Baymule, reading your story was great! I've decided on just building a super secure run with my dad and uncle this spring. This weekend we are closing in the open side of the coop and they can at least come and go in there. When I am out there then they are happily running around, but the hawk is there every single day - watching me - waiting for me to leave them out. She literally just hangs above me gliding in place.

My hen is recovering amazingly well. Her feathers on her neck are growing back. She's starting to use the leg. She was trying to scratch and cover herself in the dirt and DE today.
My Great Pyrenees
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453

I have a Fort Knox 8'x7' coop covered in plywood and hardware cloth with a hardware cloth skirt on the ground all the way around it. I added a 12'x8' hoop run to it and it is covered in hardware cloth with a 2' wire skirt on the ground all the way around it. Even though we live in town, we have hawks, coons and possums, not to mention the feral cats the lady next door feeds. They don't free range in the yard. Today for the first time we let them out under the supervision of our Great Pyrenees who was given to us because she killed chickens. It has been a long road to get her to this point. Even though they were locked up tight, she patrolled the yard and kept predators away. Nothing gets in our yard. Nothing.

Great news! I'm glad she is doing so well!
D.gif

I had a red tailed hawk attack one of cuckoo marans hens right in front of me. I mean I wasn't 10 feet away! I was working on the compost bin and I had a small section of fence with 2 boards attached together in my hand at the time so I took off screaming and swinging. It didn't matter to that bird. He wanted her bad. If he hadn't flew off when he did, I would have committed a federal offense before I knew it was a NO NO to mess with Hawks. My girls hid from me and the hawk for several hours and I like to never got them back in their coop that night. They thought I went crazy or something I guess. There was no damage other than the loss of a few hundred feathers left in a neat pile on the ground where he attacked her at.

I hate to hear anyone having a problem with Hawks or any kind of troubles with their flock. Sorry this happened to you.

Hi,i find deer netting works better than fishing line for my cover on the run,it has a 1/2 web and the redtail hawk has failed to get in.24..00 dollars for 7 foot by 100 foot roll. bear

Back
Top Bottom