Hawks uhhh and my dog

If I have a hawk attack, I confine my flock in their coop and covered run for at least a week, or longer, until that hawk moves elsewhere. Free ranging is a risk; having plenty of hiding places, shrubs, etc, helps too.
Were you talking about your dog killing the chickens? Separation is the key there, and possibly serious dog training, but not togetherness!
Mary

Are the hawk attacks happening while the hens are contained or free ranging? If contained, does your run have a netting over the top? If not, that would be a good solution (and stop them from escaping out of the run into danger dog territory. If the area is really large, maybe stringing fishing filament in a cross pattern would work. Otherwise, you can buy rolls of lightweight netting to use.

If you free range predators are always going to be a risk you take. If your own dog is a predator then either you need to work on training the dog and/or keep the dog contained while the chickens are around. My dogs do not go outside if the chickens are outside, and vice versa - and both dogs and chickens only get free time if I can supervise.

Back
Top Bottom