Hawks :(

ande

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 22, 2012
NC
Hi Everyone- I'm new to this forum and I guess I'm just looking for a little moral support today. We've had our chickens for only 4 months- 2 Americaunas, a Welsummer, and a Guinea Hen that we got later, hoping she would offer a little protection for the girls. We raised them from chicks and they've been in free range paradise for about a month or so. Basically we started to let them free range during the day when they were full size and they were so happy. I would check on them every couple of hours and they would come running for my handful of mealworms :) Well, yesterday, my favorite girl, Lucille, was apparently taken by a hawk. I'm devastated. They have two barns, tons and tons of trees, shrubbery and bushes and a coop to hide in. We also hung aviary netting over the small horse paddock for extra protection between the barns. I was always worried about Lucille because she was a little smaller and bolder than the others. (She would chase the barn cats as they innocently passed by :) I have everybody else locked up for now, but I don't want to do that forever. I'm so upset about her that I feel like I should give up on the whole chicken thing- we don't really care about the eggs -we just enjoyed seeing them do their chickeny things :) I'm hoping when I feel better I won't feel like giving up. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do to keep away hawks, besides building a pen? Maybe if I'm going to free-range, I just need to toughen up a little and accept that there's only so much I can do? Thanks!

Correction it is actually up to $100000 dollar fines and 3 years in jail and its a felony to kill a raptor
Actually, it's $15,000 and six months for common offenses. Only an aggravated incident would get you more than that. The average is about $5,000 and six month suspended. Either way, you shouldn't shoot them. There are lots of ways to protect your birds from them. I use a scare man that seems to work just fine. Also raising chickens that are larger than the average hawk is helpful as well. I provide my chickens with enough cover so that they can hide if needed. I also have a bird feeder on the other side of the farm that gives the hawks an ample supply of dove to eat. But, foamyownsyou, it isn't helpful to flame folks and call them names. Education is the best answer. Which is what this forum is supposed to be about.

A "FEDERAL WILDLIFE OFFICER" huh? Is that different from a REGULAR WILDLIFE OFFICER? To which I called and they said "SHOOT THE *******, as it was MY right as a livestock owner"
Really I can not believe an official told you to "shoot the ********". I would report him and he will loose his job, not just for the bad and incorrect advise he gave you, but also for his bad language.

Honestly, just make a covered run for the chickens and stop worrying about the hawk, which will go away once it can not get to you birds.

Its cheaper and more sensible to make a secure covered run - which will last years and protect your chickens - so you do not need to worry once you are out at work etc.

But if people like to be lazy and want to waste money on guns, ammo, lost chickens, and lost time, and break the law, then just shoot it. Then in a few more weeks another hawk will come by and take the original ones place, so you got to go through it all again.

If you have a big place these work well for all kinds of trespassers i use a 4 foot piece of 1 inch PVC as a launcher and i am very accurate with placement of my shot
big_smile.png

I woke up to an interesting match yesterday. I have one jersey giant rooster that lives outside the coop due to his aggression to the other roosters, and one male guinea thats his buddy and refuses to go in the coop. Well yesterday i woke up to the whole pen going batcrap crazy. grabbed mr shoty on the way out the door thinking i would have an issue to take care of. I get behind the run to see the rooster and the guinea cock tearing the crap outta a redtail. Wasnt my business so i went on my way. Everyone in the pen was rooting for them tho. Havent seen the hawk just a ton of feathers.. assuming the dogs finished it off. Should be a lesson for other hawks :D Btw i did check both birds when they roosted this evening. some scratches but no major harm.

good morning.....I haven't read through the entire post, just some of the arguing. It is early and I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee. I live in NY state and from my understanding all predator birds, all hawk species, owls, eagles, etc are protected to the extend that if you even have a feather in your possession from one of these birds it is against the law and there are stiff fines. The only people that I am aware of that are exempt from this are Native American people because of their spiritual beliefs and rituals.
Several years ago I remember a story about a woman who did art work with feathers, she had made a design and sent to the 1st lady. Not this administration, and I don't remember which, but federal agents went to her home and either arrested her or she was fined heavily for using wild bird feathers. They were not even bird of prey feathers, just wild birds which she had picked up off the ground. I have a friend also that does feather creations and she raises all of the birds for the feather work she does because of this issue.
Personally, I believe we live in this world along with the other creatures on this planet. We do our best to protect the animals we care for from the predators that live here with us. But, it happens, it is a fact that we can't escape unless we lock them up all the time. I lost a bird last week also to a hawk. I was heartbroken for her and all my girls were completely freaked out. I kept them confined in the run and coop for several days so the hawk would not come back everyday for easy pickings and make it a habit knowing there was good hunting in my back yard. They were happy to be out this weekend and I didn't see any hawks doing fly bys.
Maybe growing up a farm girl and having been married to a dairy farmer I am very aware of the reality of losses of our animals by many many means, whether illness, accident or predator, so I don't get carried away. I am sad of course and do not want any animal to suffer in any way, but the spiral of life continues. Losses are inevitable, thats all I know!
I also have never heard of getting a permit to shoot a bird of prey. And, I do know a DEC officer has rights even a police officer does not. Like coming into your home to inspect freezers and the such without a warrent. They will check dates on meat packaged in your freezer to see if your hunting permit #'s match if you are suspected of jacking.

Last edited:

Whether they were once "near extinct" or not red tails and Cooper's hawks now have the exact same conservation status as subway rats, look it up. They have the lowest status possible with regard to their numbers and if an "overprotected & thus overpopulated" status existed, that is what they would be. The law that protects them originated in 1916 and is still there only because nobody has made any real effort to update the species that may still need protection.

S.S.S. Do it without hesitation and most importantly without guilt. These killers are not endangered any more than the cockroach in your kitchen.

This is misinformation, if you live in the USA. Red tailed hawks and Cooper's Hawks are still protected under the U.S. MBTA, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/migtrea.html
This IS NOT the same conservation status as a cockroach or subway rat (note: Norway Rats and German Cockroaches are introduced/invasive species in the USA so they have no protection at all). Officials still respect and uphold this law, and it IS taken seriously. Some local governments may not, as individual concerns by conservation offers vary, but it is absolutely incorrect to assume that no one cares anymore.

Suggesting blazen removal of native wildlife, especially a migratory species, is a bit ignorant. I have no doubt that certain situations warrant the removal of raptors, and permits are often issued in these situations, but suggesting that all chicken keepers that have had a hawk sighting or predation shoot said hawk is, frankly, ignorant. I respect that everyone wants to protect their livestock and pets. I do, too! But shooting every time is NOT an answer to this complex problem.

I am surprised they let people own hawks unless its injured and can not fly and kept for educational purposes. Don't get the falconer thing ,Just my opinion
I guess every one has there thing.

Obtaining a falconry license in the USA is not easy nor casually handed out. It requires very strict requirements to be met by the person wishing to become involved in falconry, including building an inspected mews for the bird(s). Then hopeful falconers must find a licensed falconer to apprentice to. There are very strict laws governing when they may trap raptors, how, and the species. It is very carefully regulated.
I, myself, do not wish to be a falconer, but I respect those that do it correctly and ethically. To me, it is no different than keeping any other undomesticated bird species (parrots, some aviary birds, etc), if done correctly and with the best interest in the bird's welfare.

WE DID THE FISHING LINE ABOVE THE WHOLE AREA WHERE OURS FREE RANGE, AND NOT A HAWK TO BE FOUND! I THINK THE FISHING LINE COST LESS THAN $5 AND WE JUST USED LEFT OVER FENCING TO MAKE IT NICE AND TALL WHERE WE COULD WALK UNDER IT.

Back
Top Bottom