Hawks :(

I don't know why it's against the law to kill a hawk? I don't see how they could be endangered, they are everywhere by the zillions....My poor cricket (buff silkie young hen )was attacked today,I don't know if she's gonna make it ,but if I can get my hands on that hawk !?@:?'- he's not gonna like it, Cricketis just the sweetest little girl, I am sooooo upset.

Oh yea I got there right after the attack ,my Roo and other chickens were all hiding, 2 cats were at the attack spot, and large black crows were harassing the hawk ,he left, The hawk got his claws in but either the crows cats or both made him let go ,I'm now going to be happy to let the crows eat pecans, I may even feed them some corn my new best friends crows nice birds.

Sorry about your Silkie Cheeseball. I know how it feels to loose one to a hawk. :( And yes, crows are great to keep around, but the crows just annoy the hawk, the hawk will still attack your chickens when given the chance no matter how many crows are around. I have sometimes 50 plus crows flying over my house and still see anywhere from 1-6 hawks a day.

Two big chickens lost 2 weeks ago, one to a hawk, one to a fox. Today, 2 hawks working together, one big hen dropped from the hawk's claws when I ran out an scared them as they flew away. Then I realized they must have also taken the cochin banty, my favorite chicken. Very very sad. No problems for years with fence, overhead wires and shiny objects. Those are not working anymore.

Today I put together what I call a "hawk Hider". It's a portable pen I have raised up off the ground with tree stumps and put a tarp on the top. I have it because I have see hawks everyday this week and when I let the chickens out I want them to have a place to hide since it's the winter.

Today I put together what I call a "hawk Hider". It's a portable pen I have raised up off the ground with tree stumps and put a tarp on the top. I have it because I have see hawks everyday this week and when I let the chickens out I want them to have a place to hide since it's the winter.
Thats a good little idea and hiding spot you made if my girls every have to run they have the shed,woods,bushes,coop,porch they are pretty safe

Thats a good little idea and hiding spot you made if my girls every have to run they have the shed,woods,bushes,coop,porch they are pretty safe

That's good. My coops are so far away from the house that during the winter they only have the coops and this invention to hide because there are no leaves on the trees. During the summer they have a lot of places to hide. I like winter better because you can see if a hawk is flying around so you can get the chickens in. During the summer I get a little scared because they can come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom