Hay: Pros and Cons?

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I've been reading numerous threads about having hay in or around the run, and the comments run the gamut from good to bad.

Some think hay is the best, others warn against it harboring rats, mice, mites, and disease.

Why I am asking is that a friend has access to free hay bales, the large round types. They've apparently been sitting in a field for a while, weathering.

I wouldn't have to haul them, but they'd be delivered for free to my yard. I could use them in the garden area as mulch, in the compost pile (mostly grass clippings and leaves right now) and in the chicken run. I could place them behind but not directly next to the coop, on the woods side of the yard. See inserted photo of the current state of the coop/run construction (cold and wet conditions have stalled the project) to get a better idea of my layout.

So, what are your thoughts on whether having a couple large hay bales in the backyard for garden and chicken use would be a good thing, or not?

012923 Hoop Coop  (3).jpg

I've been reading numerous threads about having hay in or around the run, and the comments run the gamut from good to bad.

Some think hay is the best, others warn against it harboring rats, mice, mites, and disease.

Why I am asking is that a friend has access to free hay bales, the large round types. They've apparently been sitting in a field for a while, weathering.

I wouldn't have to haul them, but they'd be delivered for free to my yard. I could use them in the garden area as mulch, in the compost pile (mostly grass clippings and leaves right now) and in the chicken run. I could place them behind but not directly next to the coop, on the woods side of the yard. See inserted photo of the current state of the coop/run construction (cold and wet conditions have stalled the project) to get a better idea of my layout.

So, what are your thoughts on whether having a couple large hay bales in the backyard for garden and chicken use would be a good thing, or not?

View attachment 3399165
I don’t think hat is all bad.. and a lot of bedding can harbor bugs, but when hay’s been sitting in a field, bugs and pests can move in.
I used to use hay for nesting material, but my chickens got mites too much and I stopped the last time I went to collect some and it was full of ants. *shudder*
It might work good for litter..

If it's free why not get it? I'm sure you can find many uses for it. I don't know anything about how it would work out in coop or run but I did buy a small bag of Alfalfa hay to use in our nest boxes. We had been using chips but they kept kicking them out & eggs were getting 'dirty' . Since we got the hay they are'nt kicking it out & more are using the boxes now than were before. Hope this helps, good luck.

Attachments

• 20230202_141344.jpg
    20230202_141344.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 7

Hay is a compost green, where you normally want a compost brown to react with and neutralize the manure, which is a very strong green.

However, "Free" is a fabulous word so if the bales are not moldy inside or pre-infested with rodents or other pests, it's worth giving it a try.

It might take more management to keep it from packing, matting, and developing anaerobic pockets, but, again, there is that word "Free". ;)

Agree that free is fabulous! I use hay in my nest boxes, when I clean them out the hay goes into my run, it's probably about an 1/8th of a bale total, the ladies mix is with everything else. I haven't had any issues with it.
I throw my used nest hay in the run too. They love to scratch around in it.

The issue with hay is that it molds very quickly when exposed to any moisture even high humidity if not stored properly. Hay also is very expensive right now so if it's a free old round bale there is also a very high chance there is mold in it. I have always refused to use it for horse bedding due to how easily is molds and since chickens are even more sensitive I would never use it even if it was free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom