He or she? She or he? Also a weird beak??

nearlyalegume

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
Victoria, Australia
Hi!
I have a pair of 4 week old coronation sussex (the sole survivors of seven - clearly my girl Vader is as good a parent as her namesake, and they are now being raised under a lamp), and I was wondering if my suspicions are correct re: gender. I think we have a male and a female.

'Chickadee-Chick' - boy?
20180107_180659.jpg

'Peekaboo' - female?
20180107_180719.jpg

Both together.
20180107_175809.jpg

20180107_175754.jpg

Also, we bought two sexed gold-laced wyandottes, but once we got them home I noticed that one of them has a really pronounced hook to her beak. She's a lot smaller, too. Is this going to be a problem? She's around 3 weeks old now and we've had her about a fortnight.
20180107_175531.jpg

Thanks!

I think your suspicions are correct. Coronation Sussex are beautiful. Does your little one with the funny beak eat ok? Wet food/fermented may be easier than pellets for her to eat once she's full grown.

I agree on the Sussex.

I hatched an Araucana (crested) earlier this year with the same beak issue. I call her Raptor, and she's currently happy in my layer flock. I won't be using her to breed from. Just be sure that she's able to eat and drink properly and she should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom