head bobbing??

chicks44

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Acton
Ok, so this is my first batch of chickens. I have an adorable black silkie who occassionally bobs her head to the side, like she has a twitch but slower. I know it is weird, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. Her behavior is totally fine otherwise, so I am not too concerned, just curious. Thanks!!

I don't know much about this....but my Buffs twitch their heads from side to side occassionally. Almost like something is tickling their ears.

They have done this for some time....but seem to be fine and usually only do it when in the stall. They seem to be fine when you let them out. So i'm guessing it's just some kind of personality trait or mood thing.

Maybe a nervous disorder!!!
lol.png

Brian

Mine did that when they were chicks, too. It stopped at about the time they feathered out. I decided that the new feathers growing in must feel itchy - you know, that "I shaved 2 days ago and now I'm dying" feeling!

It also seems to be something that happens when they get bored. Things get slow, you start to notice that your ears are itchy. That's a good time to add some fresh treats, or even just a new object for them to discuss and inspect. I had a collection of small chick-proof objects that I would rotate in and out of the brooder to keep them occupied.

Back
Top Bottom