Heat Forced Molting?

Christine Wilson

Chirping
Sep 26, 2021
Greetings from East Texas where we are now in the 18th day of triple digit temps. Today and yesterday 104 and will go up over the weekend.
Our poor hens are so hot, and it seems the extreme heat is forcing them to molt as the feathers are everywhere. We haven't gotten an egg for 5 days now from our flock of 12. Their coop run is heavily shaded and we have a large boot tray filled with water in the run and two saucers of water for when they are out of the run. They are taking their dust baths and we are giving them frozen treats. I will freeze some large containers of water as someone else has suggested. But if they go into a hard molt and these temps doen't let up, I am worried for them. What else can we do?
Thanks for your help.

I am in Houston. My birds are molting too.
It's been normal for them to start molting this time of year. My birds have done it for years.

I don't give my birds ice anything...just cool fresh water through out the day and they are fine.

I wouldn't worry about the feathers dropping at all.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Weather changes and temps can definitely cause birds to molt. Some start molting this time of year regardless of the weather. Make sure to limit treats, keep them on a healthy diet and it never hurts to offer up scrambled eggs or even some cooked ground beef or turkey a couple times a week to those that hard molt, the extra protein is great for feather growth.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!

I am in Houston. My birds are molting too.
It's been normal for them to start molting this time of year. My birds have done it for years.

I don't give my birds ice anything...just cool fresh water through out the day and they are fine.

I wouldn't worry about the feathers dropping at all.
Thank you. I keep telling myself other's chickens are making it, ours will too. But it is good to hear it!!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Weather changes and temps can definitely cause birds to molt. Some start molting this time of year regardless of the weather. Make sure to limit treats, keep them on a healthy diet and it never hurts to offer up scrambled eggs or even some cooked ground beef or turkey a couple times a week to those that hard molt, the extra protein is great for feather growth.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!
They just get treats once a day. Will make sure they get lots of protein. Thanks for the confirmation about the heat, but maybe it is just time. This will be their 2nd adult molt.

They just get treats once a day. Will make sure they get lots of protein. Thanks for the confirmation about the heat, but maybe it is just time. This will be their 2nd adult molt.
You may want to rethink giving them treats daily.
treats take away from them getting a balanced diet.
Not getting a balanced diet will cause problems eventually.

No matter what type of treat you are feeding them make sure it is NOT more than a tablespoon worth.

Back
Top Bottom