Sharing my girl Gidget's Story-Please Don't Overfeed Treats

Apr 20, 2023
Coastal NC
We were blessed to start our very first flock back in 2011 with 16 wonderful little chicks from Meyers Hatchery. We built them the "chicken mansion" and huge runs, and free range area for their growth and wellbeing. At the time there was just my wife, daughter and I to care for the 16 little joy givers. One of the breeds I chose was a Speckled Sussex and I gave her the name Gidget, yes, for those familiar with the show in the 60's played by Sally Fields.

Gidget become the flock leader as we did not choose to have a Cockerel/Rooster for our flock. Gidget was the first layer of the bunch at 17 weeks 4 days, and she gave the absolute best egg call when heading into the nesting box, I've saved her video of her strutting along the bar of the nesting boxes letting the whole world know she is going to lay an egg soon. She was the best girl anyone could have asked for, sweet as a daisy, reserved when needed and stern when it came to flock control/management. We learned a great deal the first year with our flock, we lost our first girl a BR due to botulism. Our second loss was my beloved girl Gidget, with no signs of distress or foreknowledge of illness, I found her dead in the coop, and I cried.

Looking for answers I came onto this site, which I've been a part of during this time and posed the normal questions of "what happened to our chicken"? One response was to send her off for a Necropsy. I found a local lab and prepared her for shipment. 2 weeks later the results. Fatty liver/Heart attack/overweight.
This is where we regrouped and reviewed how could this happen, did I contribute to Gidget's demise, YES, we played a pivotal role in her death, we gave her way too many treats, we gave our entire flock too many treats, let me explain further.

It's fun to watch our flock attack new foods and treats so we gave them a little bit of everything. We gave mealworms, scratch,sunflower seeds, meat, scraps,fish,eggs,catfood, anything and everything and no limits at this time. We had no idea what we were contributing to or our causation of an early death for our girls. I see all the time, questions about treats, how much, what type, what not to give and what to limit. Please take my words for it, just stop and think about it for a minute before you just give in and throw all sorts of things into your flock. Moderation is key, but even more important is quantity. After our Gidget's death, we focused more on a balance diet of their pellets and mash, and in minor amounts good treats from time to time, if I had only knew then what I know right now.....
When it comes to treats of any kind, less is more, chicken feed is most important for small flocks like ours that did not free range the entire time, their main source came from the pellets/crumbles. I would rather have my girls live longer to share in their lives than to constantly give them "treats" because they like them, my heart still breaks for this chicken 12 years removed, if you love your flock as I know you do, please don't overdo it, I don't wish the pain of our loss to be shared by anyone else here. Give your girls a big hug today, and refrain from too many treats.

We still miss you Gidget....

Attachments

• 19 week Gidget 2.jpg
    19 week Gidget 2.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 609
  • 19 week Gidget 3.jpg
    19 week Gidget 3.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 40
Thank you.
I hope this will reinforce this idea to Stop feeding treats so eagerly and substantively before it's too late and we lose another this issue.
I am 100% positive treats are not necessary and your birds can do fine without ever getting them.

In the very beginning of my chicken keeping I too fed treats and probably too many.
My chickens are 6 years old and they have not had a treat in over 5 years.

Ooh, I now wonder if this is why Butterscotch is so much larger than Marmalade, more than I'd think is usual considering their age difference is about a year. I didn't raise either of them, but only got them this summer from different people. My sister raised Butterscotch, and has told me that she gave her dried mealworms as a treat fairly regularly. Marmalade, on the other hand, was raised by a guy that only very rarely gave treats, and that was limited to a few fresh berries when his black raspberry bushes were in season. I'm likely to not go for treats at all now, thanks to your warning. I want my girls to live very long and healthy lives.

You are most likely on to something about the difference in your birds. We gave to all our birds, but as you know some eat way more than others and the girls lower on the pecking order get much less, so less chance of them turning out like our main leader Gidget.

We offer boiled eggs and yogurt when they are younger, and will keep with the yogurt mixed with their crumbles every so often but will never give "treats" just as a quick enjoyment opportunity for us humans. They will always have the main feed as their source of daily nutriment but I'm not opposed to feeding vegetable scraps and such when we have extra, or allow them in the garden, but NEVER again will I give constant extras just for the fun of it, it cost me dearly.

Last edited:
Thank you for your story. I am new to chicken-keeping, we have 30 6-week old birds now. I have fed them mealworms maybe 3-4x since they have gone into the coop. Mostly I want to use it to train them to come back to me if they get out of their run space. We live in town and our neighbors would be unhappy if they got into their yard.

Thank you for your story. I am new to chicken-keeping, we have 30 6-week old birds now. I have fed them mealworms maybe 3-4x since they have gone into the coop. Mostly I want to use it to train them to come back to me if they get out of their run space. We live in town and our neighbors would be unhappy if they got into their yard.
I think you'd be okay to use as training for a few weeks, but to my understanding they are loaded with fat so we decided against giving our new flock these, did purchase some dried but they couldn't care less for them, they would rather have boiled eggs as their treat, so we only give "extras" sparingly. Now we only need to bring out the "plate" and they will follow us anywhere, could have nothing other than pellet mash and yogurt and they love it and we feel better about not having to bury another Gidget due to my negligence.

What breeds did you end up with? 30 is a bunch of FUN!

Back
Top Bottom