Skinny chicken

She looks like she eats a lot because she is often at the feeder but upon closer inspection she spends some of that time pushing the feed around. I was thinking that she is spending a lot of time near the feed to establish her claim to it. I checked her crop tonight and I feel food in there but it’s softer than my other girls. Their crops are rock hard and hers is mushy. What does that mean?
Their crops are rock hard? This could be a concern. It might be a good idea to check them in the morning before they feed, to make sure they've emptied.

Their crops are rock hard? This could be a concern. It might be a good idea to check them in the morning before they feed, to make sure they've emptied.
Is that not normal? They always eat a lot right before getting on the roost because I give them cracked corn when I lock the pen and then they hang out at the feeder before getting on the roost. I think they always have very hard crops at that time and they are empty in the morning. They are little piggies. I’ll check tomorrow to make sure though. So does that mean that a full but mushy crop is more normal in the evening?

Is that not normal? They always eat a lot right before getting on the roost because I give them cracked corn when I lock the pen and then they hang out at the feeder before getting on the roost. I think they always have very hard crops at that time and they are empty in the morning. They are little piggies. I’ll check tomorrow to make sure though. So does that mean that a full but mushy crop is more normal in the evening?
I guess I could see this with cracked corn

Back
Top Bottom