Heat Lamps

Jenace

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 3, 2014
AZ
Can anyone tell me approximately how mich it costs to run ONE heat lamp 24/7 fora week? This is for a coop. Not chicks.

not sure i want to know, i have 6 of them going right now. lol there are different watts for them also. i will tell you my elect. bill didnt change from this month a year ago. so just guessing its bound to be minimal. plus its colder this winter than last

Depends on your electric rate. A 250 watt heat lamp would take 6 killowatts (250*24/1000) per day. At my rate of around 12.5 cents a kilowatt, it would cost .75 a day or 22.50 for 30 days.

Depends on your electric rate.  A 250 watt heat lamp would take 6 killowatts (250*24/1000) per day.  At my rate of around 12.5 cents a kilowatt, it would cost .75 a day or 22.50 for 30 days.

And how well does a 250 watt heat lamp heat?

Not only are heat lamps more expensive to operate, but they are less efficient in heating areas any larger than directly beneath where they're focused. Is that what you wanted to know?

And they're extremely dangerous. If they fall, the hot bulb can ignite anything flammable it touches. If a chicken flies against the bulb in a flurry of conflict in the coop, they will get burned, and might even catch fire if they're wings have enough contact. That would set the entire coop on fire.

I took away all my heat lamps and am now using efficient oil-filled heaters, that don't even get hot enough to burn, set on the lowest temperature, should anyone touch them. They are far less expensive as far as the power bill. There are other safe ways to heat a coop in addition to the oil-filled heaters if you research the topic.

You don't want to heat your coop to much above freezing because chickens can go into heat shock if they experience too great of a temperature variation.

i have my heat lamps in my brooders and the babies are getting bigger with feathers now but because of the bitter cold i am leary to take them away. i did have a chicken one time get so close to the light it singed its feathers off its back. but im talking half grown bantam in a small brooder. not near enough room for them.

you might want to look into getting a small space heater.....I did, now my coop is nice and warm.....and I put in a small florescent bulb to immitate daylight......get 11 eggs a day....out of 11 hens....and everybody is happy

THE ONE I USE HAS RAISED MY ELECTRIC BILL BY $12 A MONTH......WHEN I OFFSET THAT BY THE 10 OR 11 EGGS I GET A DAY....WELL WORTH IT TO ME

Back
Top Bottom