Heat Plate in Plastic Box: Safe?

BackyardZen

In the Brooder
May 2, 2018
Suffolk County, NY
We will soon be caring for 6 chicks in a Sterilite 35-gallon Storage Tote/Bin with a Chick Brooder Heating Plate, 10"x10". We plan to place pine wood shavings in the bottom of the storage tote/bin and then place the heating plate on top. Is there a chance that the heating plate will melt the storage tote/bin? I am trying to avoid all potential safety issues.

We will soon be caring for 6 chicks in a Sterilite 35-gallon Storage Tote/Bin with a Chick Brooder Heating Plate, 10"x10". We plan to place pine wood shavings in the bottom of the storage tote/bin and then place the heating plate on top. Is there a chance that the heating plate will melt the storage tote/bin? I am trying to avoid all potential safety issues.
It'll be fine and won't melt any plastic. It doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to do that. I will say though, you'll soon be moving those 6 chicks out of that tote because it won't be anywhere near large enough for them.

We have this same set up for our 4 chicks. They had a heat lamp the first 4 days before the heat plate arrived, and THAT makes me nervous! Anyway, the day we transitioned them they were obviously happy by the evening -- it took a little tweaking to get the plate to the right height -- but when we turned off the light in the pantry (leaving them in almost complete darkness) they got pretty excited. So I set up a night light for the first night. I was thinking it may have been the first time they were in total darkness in their (8-day) lives....no wonder they got a bit freaked! But the heat plate is working well with no sign of problems in the tote.
I will say though, you'll soon be moving those 6 chicks out of that tote because it won't be anywhere near large enough for them.
This, though, is very true. With the feeder, water, roost, and heat plate, their pen is now rather snug. They don't seem to care, but I've already found a large box from the local home improvement store that I can move them into. Hopefully they can stay in that until there's a coop for them.

Back
Top Bottom