heated waterer/heat source for coop

Vermont Girls

Hatching
Oct 28, 2015
My wonderful husband constructed a water heater using a chimney block with a paver over the top and a small flood lamp inside the chimney brick. It is warm enough to keep the water from freezing and also warms the brick to provide some warmth for them. Our coop is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide with ceilings of 6 feet. The waterer is closer to the nesting boxes to prevent eggs from freezing and we also have vents near ceiling for air exchange. Last year we used a heated dog bowl for our ducks and that was ok. Thought we shouldn't have open water in coop with chickens and our 2 ducks this year. It gets mighty cold here in Northern VT and we have lots of wind. Next on list is constructing an outdoor covered run for them to hunker down in this winter.

Last year I used a cinder block heater in the coop. I set the block on a pavers, put a fixture with a 60 watt bulb in each chamber of the block and topped it with another paver. I only ran it on the coldest nights. It didn't raise the temperature in the coop substantially, but a couple of times I came out to find one or two birds snuggled up to it so clearly they appreciated the extra bit of warmth.

I'm going to use the cinder block version for heating my hens water this winter. I'm having a hard time trying to find a CERAMIC outlet to socket light plug. Home Depot doesn't have them and have checked on the web to try to locate one. Any ideas as to where I might find one?

We have since tried out the heater, has gotten pretty cold a few nights. The cinder block works like a charm. We found the ceramic light at our local farm supply store and since we use sand on floor of coop, we are safe. The birds love it.

Back
Top Bottom