Heating lamp or EcoGlow?

sophieethompson

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
I've decided to get 4 baby chicks! And I'm wondering if I should use a heat lamp or this thing called an EcoGlow. I've heard the EcoGlow is as close as you can get a mother hen's warmth. What do you guys think I should choose? Has anyone tried an EcoGlow before?

A radiant heating element like the Ecoglow is definitely the way to go in my opinion. It allows for a more natural behavior, such as proper day/night cycles, tends to promote faster feathering, and doesn't overheat the chicks (heat stress is a major cause of diarrhea in chicks. You can purchase this option premade (Ecoglow) or make your own using a heating pad cave as described in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

More nice things about the "mama heating pad" method is that there is very low risk of fire unlike heat lamps, it consumes far less electricity, and you can brood directly in the coop if you like.

I love my Ecoglow! The chicks love it too! It's been amazing and I wish I'd got one much sooner! Ecoglow has my vote! Costs less to run, won't cause a fire,MUCH SAFER! Easier to use!

I'm trying the route of a mama heating pad. I just got my heating pad yesterday. Cost me $45 (in Canada so it's probably cheaper in the US) and the other materials I have on hand. As opposed to $150+ on an Eco glow. :)

I LOVE my Ecoglow! (If you check with Amazon, Wayfair, etc you can find on for $80) It takes a minute for the chicks to understand it, but once they do, you only need to make adjustments to it for height as the chicks grow. No fire risks and it doesn't heat the rest of the brooder so they get the "natural" hot/cold zones that they would with a mama hen. I haven't had any problems with pasty butt because they can regulate their temps easily. (I only had the paper towel in the brooder for the first day to monitor poops, then they went right to the pine shavings.)

Last edited:
I got an Eco-Glow and it has really worked well. I have had no problems with pasty butt and the chicks really took to it easily. The first few days I placed a towel over it at night and all 17 got under it. They are 2 weeks old now and love to sit on top of it and perch on the ends. A good investment.

We tried an EcoGlow and I love the concept, but I would only reserve it for very healthy chicks from the start. Ours were shipped a long ways and were very weak when they got here. Consequently, when they left it to go get a drink or food in the middle of the night, they couldn't make it back and died. We ended up getting a heat lamp for the next batch just to get a more even warmth through the whole brooder. I'd also make sure it's flush against one wall of the brooder - one of our little chicks got caught behind it and passed away (but again, this was from the weak batch). Looking forward to trying it out again!

We tried an EcoGlow and I love the concept, but I would only reserve it for very healthy chicks from the start. Ours were shipped a long ways and were very weak when they got here. Consequently, when they left it to go get a drink or food in the middle of the night, they couldn't make it back and died. We ended up getting a heat lamp for the next batch just to get a more even warmth through the whole brooder. I'd also make sure it's flush against one wall of the brooder - one of our little chicks got caught behind it and passed away (but again, this was from the weak batch). Looking forward to trying it out again!
I will admit that I had one chick who struggled with the concept of the Ecoglow. I spent a couple hours monitoring when she first arrived and did have to "trap" her under there with my hand until she was comfortable and would duck under on her own - and I did have to do that at "bedtime" the first night when i heard her peeping loudly. But if you are worried about weak/young ones getting lost on their way back from the food dish, I would just make the brooder a bit smaller until they get their strength back.

Keep in mind though - I'm terrified of heat lamps due to the risk of fire, so I'm willing to do whatever I can to avoid them! :)

I will admit that I had one chick who struggled with the concept of the Ecoglow. I spent a couple hours monitoring when she first arrived and did have to "trap" her under there with my hand until she was comfortable and would duck under on her own - and I did have to do that at "bedtime" the first night when i heard her peeping loudly. But if you are worried about weak/young ones getting lost on their way back from the food dish, I would just make the brooder a bit smaller until they get their strength back.

Keep in mind though - I'm terrified of heat lamps due to the risk of fire, so I'm willing to do whatever I can to avoid them! :)

Back
Top Bottom