Heating Lamps/Lights in the Coop

kdelorme2005

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Vermont
I live in northern VT and it gets cold at night, like negative twenty cold. do people recommend putting heating lamps/lamps in the coop at night? I have heard some people say no and some people say yes. just looking for some opinions.

I live in northern Utah and we always get down to -5 to -30 below a couple weeks during the winter. And I have never used a heat lamp, heck I still have birds that will roost in the trees when it's that cold. The only problem I have is with some of my roos getting frost bit combs.

my bf kept saying they were fine. But I was worried. Good to know! should we keep an eye out for frost bit combs? is it dangerous?

I think your chickens can be a big help in this, by watching your chickens you can tell if they are cold. I dont put a heat lamp on mine. As long as their house has 4 walls and a roof, and the chicken have feathers they should be fine. If they start acting like they are cold ( huddling up, and things like that) you can put like a 120 wat bulb in a heat lamp n put on them, but fire hazzard is a big player. You will want to put it some where where it cant burn anything, and out of the way where the chickens or other animals cant hit it.

I live in northern VT and it gets cold at night,

Chickens are not polar bears we have to keep in mind. Laying, vocal, and active birds in my opinion is a sign everything is right in their world. That being said when a chicken has 3 trips around the sun it is there as a pet not for egg production.

If your birds or animals are showing signs of stress you have to do what is right in your situation. The one size fits all is a recipe for disaster.

Take inventory on your animals daily and make daily decisions is what I do summer and winter. A heat lamp and TLC can happen not only in winter and not always due to cold.

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat or give extra light in my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed Extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom