Heating pad instead of heating lamp

these days u can get radiant heat systems for ur floor or coop and use left over peices to make a small pad for incubater...just need a thermostat...then sandwich between thin bricks or tiles to protect wires...

I love this idea. If one wanted to have heat from above you could just attach it to something. My only problem with a heating pad is the lack of a descant thermostat.

We just bought 2 baby chicks, they are 3 weeks old. It is summer here in NH and our chicks are inside no AC and in my bedroom so with dropping temps at night they need to stay warm. I tried sleeping with the lamp on and it was to bright...we donot have a red lamp. So I thought of using a heating pad...They are in a tote with shavings so what I did was place the pad under the plastic tote on Med so it is not directly in the tote. It works so good...keeps them warm and I don't need to fear I am going to cook the chicks. They are so content.

I'm doing the exact same thing (the plastic tote with towel in it and heating pad under the tote) and i have the pad set to medium heat because i used it recently as a seed starter mat at the lowest setting and it took forever to get the seeds to sprout so it had to be under 85degrees F on low. So far the peepers are happy. I'm just worried it'll be too hot and they'll cook.... any info would be appreciated!

hat type of duck should I get I have lots of land I am only getting one(I am doing an experiment) I need a hardy duck for cold winters and coyotes I am planning on raising it inside till he/she grows feathers so witch one should I get PM me please 55
You should never get just one of any kind of flock bird. Especially if you expect it to live outside alone in the winter.

Actually, I'm curious about this as well. I have a 4 week old chick who will start sleeping in a cage in my daughter's room at night. I was going to put a waterproof bag around the pad and put the pad over 1/2 the floor so she could get away from the heat as needed. I'm also going to put a thermometer on the pad to make sure the temperature is regulated at all times.

I'd love to hear the input of some of the more seasoned chicken owners on this topic!

I have a seedling starter mat I got on Amazon for $20. It works great and is waterproof and easy to clean. It's supposed to stay at 80 degree at all times. It's working great

I'm sure it would work.

I'm not a fan of using a heating pad unless it was under the brooder. I'm so afraid of fires starting inside the house. The chicks scratch and peck at the bottom, therefore pecking the heating pad. Plus they will poop on it.

Setting a heavy object on the heating pad scares me too.

I use a white 120watt white light. I secure it tightly in the corner of the brooder. It's worked out well for me and I'm on my 4th brood of chicks in the last year.:D
600262c2-b226-e3ea.jpg

600262c2-b252-043d.jpg

The fire hazard is actually higher with lights. I notice you don't have a guard on yours? They also use more electricity than a heat pad. I use a $20 seedling starter mat from Amazon. They are completely waterproof and easy to clean. But I put mine under brooder anyway not in it unless they're outside in winter then I use 2

I just 4 new chicks! I don't have a lamp, only a pad. I use it for my small dogs, but they can live without it. It's waterproof. Will the chicks nest up in its warmth? Do they need light 24/7? I plan to take them outside every day for a few hours. They have been outside with me for a few hours while working in my yard. Is 85-90F here during the day. They will be in at night.

I just 4 new chicks! I don't have a lamp, only a pad. I use it for my small dogs, but they can live without it. It's waterproof. Will the chicks nest up in its warmth? Do they need light 24/7? I plan to take them outside every day for a few hours. They have been outside with me for a few hours while working in my yard. Is 85-90F here during the day. They will be in at night.

If you put a heating pad under a storage tub or something (maybe a box with a towel between it an the box), on only one side of the box so the little ones can decide if they want warmth or cooler conditions, they should be fine. I only had it on the medium setting for the first week and then switched to the low setting. The high setting can get to 120 degrees or more depending on the brand. So just the middle low settings are good.

I'm sure it would work.

I'm not a fan of using a heating pad unless it was under the brooder. I'm so afraid of fires starting inside the house. The chicks scratch and peck at the bottom, therefore pecking the heating pad. Plus they will poop on it.

Setting a heavy object on the heating pad scares me too.

I use a white 120watt white light. I secure it tightly in the corner of the brooder. It's worked out well for me and I'm on my 4th brood of chicks in the last year.:D
600262c2-b226-e3ea.jpg

600262c2-b252-043d.jpg
hey there is 18to20C temperature at night.I want to know what temperature i should set in my own made brooder?

Back
Top Bottom