Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Wait, if you use Self Blue (lavender gene) how do you get it to express? I thought the recessive nature of that color would make it not show unless there were two copies? (Although this did make me grab my standard and I learned that the blue on both lemon blue and silver blue wasn't supposed to be laced as in normal blue. Thank you for making me realize that!)
Lemon Blue and Silver Blue are both based on andalusion blue not lavendar (self blue)

The information I posted was from John Baldwin's book on Breeding Old English & Modern Game Bantams. It's an old, well known book on the subject & as far as I've heard an accurate source of info. Never bred either variety from scratch myself.

I have heard of that one, don't own it though. I wonder if it predates the Self Blue variety and he is using self blue to simply mean an all blue bird? Which might makes more sense. (Since Lemon Blue and Silver Blue both behave as Andalusian Blue when breeding them). Sorry to cause confusion.

Can I get a bit of help from the OEGB community? I got this pullet from a bantam assortment and have been trying ever since she started feathering out to figure out what variety she is. Does she appear to be some type of fawn? It's not showing up well in the pictures, but her head is actually kind of bluish looking.

Looks like a modern game.

Really? I had thought early on that she may be because her legs are fairly long, but she doesn't have the extremely upright stance that I usually see with modern games, so then I went to Old English. Do hatchery modern games not have the tall, upright way of standing?

Really? I had thought early on that she may be because her legs are fairly long, but she doesn't have the extremely upright stance that I usually see with modern games, so then I went to Old English. Do hatchery modern games not have the tall, upright way of standing?

Some hatcheries don't have good show quality chickens. Do you have a picture of her standing up from a side view?

Some hatcheries don't have good show quality chickens. Do you have a picture of her standing up from a side view?
Oh, I know; I wasn't expecting they would be show quality (bought them at TSC), but I was hoping they would be easier to identify. I have a similar looking splash pullet; maybe modern game, too? I'll see if I can get a side view of both of them standing tomorrow. They're so active it's hard to catch them standing still.
lol.png

Oh, I know; I wasn't expecting they would be show quality (bought them at TSC), but I was hoping they would be easier to identify. I have a similar looking splash pullet; maybe modern game, too?  I'll see if I can get a side view of both of them standing tomorrow. They're so active it's hard to catch them standing still. :lol:

That's always the case with chicks!

Back
Top Bottom