Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
Quote:
that is the age I try to get the deal done, as well....I intended to dub him and a few of my other cockerels in the fall. So would he be disqualified because he was undubbed even though he is too young to be dubbed? Do you early dub the 6 month old cocks that you show?

I don't show birds but I thought I read somewhere once that cockerals (under 1 year old) will not be disqualified if they are not dubbed. I could be wrong though. I would try to find out who is a judge in your area and ask.

you are correct but they never win anything, judges look past them. Its not worth showing undubbed cockerals

I would agree,you would be wasting your time to try to show an undubbed male.Its hard enough to compete in Old English with a fully conditioned seven or eight month old show bird much less a very young unfinished bird.So I would just wait and trim him at six months or so and try to hit the later shows.

I'm glad I ran across this thread! I got my first OEGB's in January, eggs from PamperedPoultry, and I simply fell in love with the breed. Unfortunately, not many people around my area are interested in them so I'm having a hard time rehoming the males. I always hear "why would we want fighting birds" Sigh. Such sweet little creatures and so docile. Here are a few of mine.

4597641178_2c4d2b5647_b.jpg

4597638098_d77bc4d3a5_b.jpg

4529129995_2218b2ed0c_b.jpg

here are the oegb I have at the moment. They dont pose that well, lol...
pancho_villa.jpg

pancho_villa2.jpg

My new 1.5 year old Porcelain Roo, Pancho Villa.
chocs_and_spangle.jpg

My dun pair, and a spangle hen that is a little wild.
casanova2.jpg

Casanova, an 8 month old dun roo.

Last edited:
DW is just getting into OEGB's, we have a trio of Crele and a pair of Wheatons...all the hens are laying...yea! Now here is a couple of questions for the experienced breeders out there.

1) Is egg time in the incubator the same as a standard or is the time shorter more like a quail?

2) Having never "dubbed" a roo before, could someone please send me a "how to" link that talks about both age and technique?

Thanks...I'll post photos tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom