Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
I am looking into OEGB's and was wanting to make sure that what I have read is correct. That they are reliable brooders and good mothers? The chicken chart says " annoyingly broody"

Rarely mine go broody BUT mine are show birds, hatchery birds are larger and are less pure OE blood so if you get your birds from a hatchery they will be more likely to go broody.

yea, i was handling him every day, but i still didn't trust him, i wear gloves when i handle him. It's a shame because i would love to show him, the breeder i got him from is really well known in our area

Quote:
Whew! I'm glad to know I am not the only one. I smack mine too and have never had an aggressive bird...not even my roosters. I think they are just like kids - you need to teach them to be nice from the beginning.

Quote:
Mine fall under the 'annoyingly broody' category
roll.png
I have 6 right now that have chicks, and another one that is 'missing' so I suspect she is broody somewhere. They are very good mothers, I have the welts on my arm to prove it! Even my little boy doesn't mess with the game-mamas, and he leaves nothing alone! They aren't quite as bad as a silkie, cause they do usually stop brooding in the winter (they also seem to stop laying
hmm.png
), but mine usually hatch 2-3 sets each a year.
th.gif

ETA: That I do have some that never seem to go broody, and most of them seem to be more broody when they are young (5-8 months old). But one of my broodies is at least 2 years old and has 12 chicks with her now, so we'll see. She keeps her chicks forever though, so she probably won't brood again this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom