Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
That is great, he is off to good start, and got his feet wet with showing. I am glad he had a good time, our local fair often has 100+ OE then a multitude of other birds last year it was 400+ birds total its great for teh kids to get warmed up for the show season.

Our county fair doesn't even have poultry!!! We have to go to ther counties. Some of them have 50 birds others have 10. I don't even think there were 400 at the state fair!!!

Quote:
We focused hard on december this year with just a few varieties and let the others go as they hatched so I have very little here that the kids did not intend to show. I did focus a considerable effort on Columbian for next years breeder birds and got 1 very nice cockrell anyway, I am sure he will do well in the variety and could compete outside it to a degree but still not 100% on color great body on him though, hatching pullets for him and two other male birds so far have 16 pullets 5 weeks and under.
the Opals are turning out to be the best ones we have raised yet and I will likely be selling 1 cock and 3 or 4 hens this fall to get someone else started on them.
I didn't change a thing in my Blue wheaton pen so they continued to plug along as normal, I really like those birds.

Still a lot of work ahead of me on the Birchen so a few more years, considering picking up some Rosecomb and transfering the color.

Quote:
We focused hard on december this year with just a few varieties and let the others go as they hatched so I have very little here that the kids did not intend to show. I did focus a considerable effort on Columbian for next years breeder birds and got 1 very nice cockrell anyway, I am sure he will do well in the variety and could compete outside it to a degree but still not 100% on color great body on him though, hatching pullets for him and two other male birds so far have 16 pullets 5 weeks and under.
the Opals are turning out to be the best ones we have raised yet and I will likely be selling 1 cock and 3 or 4 hens this fall to get someone else started on them.
I didn't change a thing in my Blue wheaton pen so they continued to plug along as normal, I really like those birds.

Still a lot of work ahead of me on the Birchen so a few more years, considering picking up some Rosecomb and transfering the color.

You thinkin on doing both oegb and rosecomb, or switching totally?

We have LF now mostly, JG, Marans, 'Dottes, Cochins. Have 6 Silkies of hatchery stock for cute factor. DD14 loves OEGB, and wants to know how they do with LF.

Quote:
That is great, he is off to good start, and got his feet wet with showing. I am glad he had a good time, our local fair often has 100+ OE then a multitude of other birds last year it was 400+ birds total its great for teh kids to get warmed up for the show season.

He had a lot of fun with his birds. Kept getting them out for everyone to see too! I think the little hens loved the attention. I can't imagine having so many birds at fair! It would be great but I bet our fair board would have a stroke! He can't wait to go to Crossroads in October and see all the birds there. He is counting down the days!

Quote:

I am going to try a few things in the brood pens for next year.I am going to cross two families of my blacks and see how that goes.They are very similar looking and What I dont like about one family I do like about the other.The men I bought my original breeders from said try it.They believe it will be a good fit.I guess we will see.I still have both families straight so really nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Quote:

Holy smoke! 400 birds at a county show?
th.gif
That's a lot! I think my county fair had 15-20.

My sister talked me into gettin OEGBs. I didn't think I wanted them and didn't know anything about them. I got some of her hatchlings and I am hooked! I love these little birds.
love.gif
I lucked out and got 6 pullets and one cockerell. These hens are so sweet! I would recommend them for any youngster wanting to start out with poultry.
smile.png

Quote:

Haven't totally decided yet, I'm thinking of 2 trios of black Rose Comb, and two trios of Wheaton rosecomb would be a good start. With the Black that will give me 3 Varieties Black, Brown Red and Birchen, the Wheaton would allow me Wheaton, Blue Wheaton and Columbian. I am thinking a gradual transition over 4-5 years.

Quote:

Haven't totally decided yet, I'm thinking of 2 trios of black Rose Comb, and two trios of Wheaton rosecomb would be a good start. With the Black that will give me 3 Varieties Black, Brown Red and Birchen, the Wheaton would allow me Wheaton, Blue Wheaton and Columbian. I am thinking a gradual transition over 4-5 years.

Sounds like a plan. Never been crazy about the white earlobes.

Back
Top Bottom