Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
His leg color is white, which is the main reason I thought he was OEGB and not RIR, but I realize his body is off. Maybe he's a mix of some kind.

okay, i have a question... actually a head scratcher to me...

i have a trio of mille fleurs... i know that the rooster and one of the hens is split to self blue because they give me a porcelain every once in a while... but this last hatch, i hatched a decent porcelain and what appears to be a spangle...

how did i get a spangle...?

Quote:
I belive that one can breed Red Pyle OEG using nothing but Homozygous Dun if one select for it(can be nearly white), breeding Pyle from Dominant white will fade the red pigment a lot..

That is what happens with many lines of Red Pyle, this actually becomes teh "hen line" then crossing back with BB Red to keep color in males and add salmon breast for teh female back in.

I believe that one can use the whitest lines of Fawn Duckwing Sports(Homo Dun) line and keep selecting for the least eumelanin in them until you have a all white homozygous dun that never fades...

how quick can this be done Sjarvis?
FawnSportBBR.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
In both Millie and Porcelian there are several other varieties that can appear when at least one parent does not carry mottling. or if they carry but are not pure for mottling. from a cross with a non mottled variety with the Millie or Porcelian you can see buff, Buff Columbian, Buff Mottled, Gold neck, self Blue, Pearle, th elist goes on for a while.
But in Millie it is not uncommon for many breeders to use spangled (a parent variety in OE) to improve or darken color in teh millie. from that you can expect to see some very near spangled but often a touch light in hackle, saddle and wing bow of male, and slight stippling in female.

Quote:
Marvin,
I would think given a trio, and hatch for 8 months, giving you an average of 10 chicks a week, that should give you 400 young select 2 trios (2 cockrells 4 pullets) from that based on the lightest cleanest plumage , I think you could get there in 2-3 generations . Its a numbers game and the more you produce the more you can cull through to reach your goal. the fewer hatched the longer it could take.

Quote:
His leg color is white, which is the main reason I thought he was OEGB and not RIR, but I realize his body is off. Maybe he's a mix of some kind.

Most OE Black tailed red have slate legs from crossing the RIR bantam over Ginger or Black tailed Buff.

Some Bantam RIR have very light leg color, but his body type and size screams RIR to me.

Quote:

Most OE Black tailed red have slate legs from crossing the RIR bantam over Ginger or Black tailed Buff.

Some Bantam RIR have very light leg color, but his body type and size screams RIR to me.

I agree on RIR, I was thinkin white leg for a mahogany oe....

Back
Top Bottom