Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Maybe everyone is busy getting ready for winter.
hu.gif
I think you're right that your OEGB chick in the bottom picture is a cockerel. The cockerel in my duo of Quail OEGBs made himself known very early; his comb was bigger than the pullet's, but his color helped, too, as he started feathering in with a lot of gold on his shoulders. I don't really know what color yours is, but it looks similar to how my spangled hen looked as a chick.

I am so happy there are still some OEGB people out there!! Thank you for looking and yes, just in the last two days my little chick has gotten even more cockerel looking. I am thinking he is a Wheaten. He is developing the black feathers on his chest now and the wheaten neck feathers. I will have to post another picture. I am pretty excited as I love the BBReds and I think he will be a nice addition around here. These little OEGB chicks develop so fast!

based on feather color he appears to be BB red not Wheaton, wheaton chicks do not have the "duckwing" stripes on the back or eye stripe, they also will not have stippling in teh juvenile feathers. there are very few differences in teh males between wheaton and BB Red. It is common for alot of heavy exibitors to cross the two to reduce the appearance of hackle or saddle striping in BB males, or Enhance the red of teh wheaton males. Many male line wheatons have BB breed into them.

Quote:
I am so happy there are still some OEGB people out there!! Thank you for looking and yes, just in the last two days my little chick has gotten even more cockerel looking. I am thinking he is a Wheaten. He is developing the black feathers on his chest now and the wheaten neck feathers. I will have to post another picture. I am pretty excited as I love the BBReds and I think he will be a nice addition around here. These little OEGB chicks develop so fast!

based on feather color he appears to be BB red not Wheaton, wheaton chicks do not have the "duckwing" stripes on the back or eye stripe, they also will not have stippling in teh juvenile feathers. there are very few differences in teh males between wheaton and BB Red. It is common for alot of heavy exibitors to cross the two to reduce the appearance of hackle or saddle striping in BB males, or Enhance the red of teh wheaton males. Many male line wheatons have BB breed into them.

Wow, thank you! I can not wait to see what he really turns out to be--I just took these pictures but not sure they show good detail--I think my lighting was messed up.
61794_cimg1348.jpg

61794_cimg1350.jpg

61794_cimg1346.jpg

All the chicks I am getting now are very BBRed in looks with the lines and such but this one did not come out like those. I will be nice if he still turns out to be a bbred rooster. Could I breed him back to my bbred hens and get consistant bbred chicks out of him??

Quote:

Wow, thank you! I can not wait to see what he really turns out to be--I just took these pictures but not sure they show good detail--I think my lighting was messed up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61794_cimg1348.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61794_cimg1350.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61794_cimg1346.jpg
All the chicks I am getting now are very BBRed in looks with the lines and such but this one did not come out like those. I will be nice if he still turns out to be a bbred rooster. Could I breed him back to my bbred hens and get consistant bbred chicks out of him??

You should test mate him later if he has the right body type you are looking for. Watch eye color closely wheatons (when mature) have a light brown eye, duckwing varieties have a Firery Red eye.

Thanks for the show box coments. Is there a certain number of feathers in the tail? 7 sounds right. I have a pullet with 8 tail feathers. They don't lay straight and kinda fan out. Its gotten better as she has gotten older. Any inputs.
6236_012.jpg

Quote:
Bathe her, and do not let her sit in a corner or wire cage, while the feathers are wet you can work them straight, and once fairly dry when she starts to preen she will finish the job for you.. I have ruined more than 1 show by placing birds in a cage to dry while bathing others..
Feather count varies from 5-8 per side, The feather count is less important than a full tail with good spread, and good carriage. the fewer feathers typically relates to narrower feathers, I like a broad feather myself.

Quote:
There isnt any reason they cant, many ppl cross bb with crele to improve type and feather width. Running a crele cock over BB hens gives you pure crele pullets and an intermediate cockerels, which are real.dark, but good.for.breeding and keeping the dark and.rich pattern.

Quote:
There isnt any reason they cant, many ppl cross bb with crele to improve type and feather width. Running a crele cock over BB hens gives you pure crele pullets and an intermediate cockerels, which are real.dark, but good.for.breeding and keeping the dark and.rich pattern.

Hummm....

Back
Top Bottom