Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I don't know for sure but it is my understanding that spangles are chipmunk colored with a very light/white breast as chicks. It's hard to see in the pics but it almost looks like one.

The Spangled and the BB Red are very similar in down color at hatch with one subtle difference. The BB red will have a light yellowish breast, the Spangle will have a white breast. The wild type partridge chick down is the same which is what the "chipmunk" stripped pattern in teh down indicates.

This is my two week old OEGB, she is one of favorite chicks...anyone know what color she is going to be
hu.gif

Last edited:
A little over a month ago, I acquired a black-and-white OEGB rooster. We keep our LF separate from our bantams, and were hoping to get more OEGBs out of him and our wee little crele OEGB hen. He's at the end of his quarantine, and I'm still a little stumped on a few things:

Our bantams are indoors, housed in the garage at this time of year. How should we introduce him to the girls?

What is this color called? He's black with flecks of white, as in this photo:

Mind, these photos are from when he first came home. He had some nasty scabs from where the previous owner's LF rooster had been picking on him, was missing more than a few feathers on his head, and also had lice, which have been thoroughly eradicated (none seen in over two weeks!). He's looking much less scruffy, now, however.

Using the chicken genetics calculator thingy, it says we can expect all black hens and all barred roosters (I think?), which sounds handy for sexing purposes, but also seems too good to be true. Is that craziness for real?

Also-also, our OEGB hen never goes broody, but we do have a lovely Serama hen who is nearly constantly broody, and has no problems sitting on anyone else's eggs. Actually, she seems almost more defensive of the other eggs! Since our girls all have very different eggs (size/shape/color all distinctly different, thankfully!), getting just OEGB chicks should be as simple as picking up all the non-OEGB eggs, right?

Oh, I forgot to mention! We decided his name is Valentino, as he's due to meet his ladies tonight, and the shape of his dubbed comb looks a bit like a heart. Here he is again, looking smug:

im looking into getting some oegb hatching eggs sometime soon and was jw if there are any good people or sites that i could purchase some from?
i would like to possibly get some nice show quality eggs if possible.

Not good with chick coloring. But does look like its one of the lighter colors. Not A BB Red, crele, brown red or black. Maybe a sliver duckwing? Not sure. Splash?

Last edited:
im looking into getting some oegb hatching eggs sometime soon and was jw if there are any good people or sites that i could purchase some from?

Its hard to get eggs this time of year. All the breeders are hatching everything for themselves. They're getting ready for the show season.

the serious show breeders will not sell eggs. You are better off trying buy breeder birds or go to the shows that are still going and buy there. Don't be bashfull, breeder pens have been set since October / November and many of teh birds being shown will be available for purchase if you ask.

Back
Top Bottom