Hello everyone

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I love the peacock. I found a local farmsteader that has some. I may get 4 babies for this spring I just broke ground yesterday to put my 4X4s in it will be a 20X20 pen totally covered. I was told if I keep them in the pen for a year I'll be able to let them out to free range after that. Is that true? I would love to have them free in the yard.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I love the peacock. I found a local farmsteader that has some. I may get 4 babies for this spring I just broke ground yesterday to put my 4X4s in it will be a 20X20 pen totally covered. I was told if I keep them in the pen for a year I'll be able to let them out to free range after that. Is that true? I would love to have them free in the yard.

I free range. You can begin, free ranging once they grow to full size, Once they begin laying. Before that they are very vunerable, I lost most of mine to my farm cats, because I let them out a month to early.
But if you do free range be aware you will have losses.

Thank you. I also have a White male but he hasn't grown in his train yet. He'll grow a train next year. It's true. They still kind of wonder since they don't know property lines but once they know where their food is they stay in that area. Some people will keep them in a pen for only a few months and they stick around. Some people will turn them free range right a way if they already have peafowl sticking around. Since you'll be starting off with babies keep them penned up for at least a year since peafowl are most vulnerable when they are under a year.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some beautiful birds. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) X2 on OrganicFarmWife; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you so much. I checked out the learning center. Very impressive. I was wondering can I keep Guines with my peacocks for that year to year in a half and then free range or is it best to just build separate pens. Eventually I want to use the pen just to keep them safe when I know there is bad weather and as a feeding station's. Like I do with the duck's and chickens. I love to see them on the property. They look so happy and busy lol .

welcome-byc.gif

Loved seeing all the pictures of your animals, they look very content and well cared for.

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks and happy new year . Can't wait to see what the year has ahead of me. I got more plans for this year. Lol

Thank you so much. I checked out the learning center. Very impressive. I was wondering can I keep Guines with my peacocks for that year to year in a half and then free range or is it best to just build separate pens. Eventually I want to use the pen just to keep them safe when I know there is bad weather and as a feeding station's. Like I do with the duck's and chickens. I love to see them on the property. They look so happy and busy lol .

You're welcome. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about peafowl and guineas (never had either), but definitely post on our Peafowl and Guinea sections in Other Backyard Poultry under the forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our peafowl and guinea experts there.

Back
Top Bottom