Hello from Belleville, IL

Rt66Kix

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
St. Louis, MO area
Never had chickens, but I have horses, cats, dogs and parrots. This weekend we bought a playhouse from Craigslist that I plan to make into a coop. It will be mounted on a dolly so I can move it around our yard (approx. 1 acre), and I will use PoultryPlus electric fence netting from Premier 1 products. Thought to use a swimming pool leaf net to prevent the bald eagle that lives across the road from having "snacks." We also have at least one pair of red-tailed hawks that roost in our trees, along with coyotes, coons and possums galore!

Need to get everything set up, and then I'll have fun hen shopping! I prefer to get young hens versus chicks. Heritage breeds are of interest to me, and I'm looking for layers. Of course pretty colors and fun plumage are a plus - LOL! Suggestions are welcome.

Looking forward to reading a learning about this new venture...

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you've got your fair share of predators lurking around your area. If you'd like, take a look at the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center You will find loads of great articles that discuss nearly every aspect of chicken keeping - including predators. Also, if you'd like to chat with local chicken folks, find the IL thread in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes to you and your future flock and thank you for joining BYC!
wee.gif

G’Day from down under Rt66Kix
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom