Hello from the Big Apple

I did read about them dying early, drumstick diva.
1f615.png
, but I will try to give him a good home for as long as he's alive. He crowed for the first time on Sunday, three hoarse crows, and once this morning. It's so funny, it sounds like somethings stuck in his throat. I will have to start preparing my son mentally for when his pet kicks the bucket. If nothing else, this chicken has made me decide to start keeping more. So I have to look around for some dual purpose pullets, and make it clear to the kids that they won't be pets.

Actually, I think chickens make great pets. When you spend time with them, get to know their quirks & personalities, and they get comfortable with a person, they can be very entertaining and tame. I think of my dual purpose girls as my pets (who just happen to provide us with wonderful eggs).

I did read about them dying early, drumstick diva.
1f615.png
, but I will try to give him a good home for as long as he's alive. He crowed for the first time on Sunday, three hoarse crows, and once this morning. It's so funny, it sounds like somethings stuck in his throat. I will have to start preparing my son mentally for when his pet kicks the bucket. If nothing else, this chicken has made me decide to start keeping more. So I have to look around for some dual purpose pullets, and make it clear to the kids that they won't be pets.
They are supposed to die early however, before I started keeping chickens I would pick up the ones off the road that fallen out of those horrible chicken trucks and take them to the vet, then find them a home. One I picked up (just a white meat chicken like yours) and gave to a friend lived three more years and even laid some eggs! I hope your son's chicken does well.
fl.gif

Also, ours are pets that give eggs. We played with them a lot when they were little and they are very tame and funny. My children love to spend time with them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! If I let them think the chickens are pets, they would be upset when it's time to put them in the pot. If they know from the onset that we will eventually eat them, they should be able to handle it better. I think....

Back
Top Bottom