Hello, Paisley the horse

Really cute and wonderful name!!
smile.png

Do you plan on Western, English or something else with her?

I am glad you are dealing with things that could harm your new filly. She is super cute..
I am going to strongly agree with the poster who said you need to have her around a good tempered older horse.
I have a friend that has a 3 yr old gelding who was raised alone, he cannot be with younger horses, he has never learned the
"I'm a baby" mouthing/submission thing that young horses do. He will in fact run and seriously go after young foals. As soon as the youngster is
large enough to hold their own, he is fine with them.

You can get an old lead rope from your friends and have it cut down to about a foot or so to use as a "catch" rope, and have that on her halter so you can catch her.

Also PLEASE remember when teaching her to give to the pressure of the halter and lead rope.. DO NOT PULL ON HER HEAD/NECK!!!
You need to have two people and a second lead rope going around her rump, as one person gently tugs on the lead attached to her halter, the other person will be by her shoulder and pulls at the same time on the butt rope so she learns to give to pressure but you won't injure her neck by yanking on her head.

Have your friends help you with her and keep us updated with lots of pics!!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice! I have been reading up on them for about a year now and trying o get wisdom from some good family friends about what we need to do but I am always open for more suggestions.

WIChookchick- The lead rope is something no one had told me to do. Everyone said just put it on her and work with her every day and she will learn, but I like your way much much more!

Peaches Lee- I have no idea what way we are going to go but I think we are leaning more western because of where we live and the types of trainers available to us. I want her to be able to go out on a cattle drive (not that she ever will) but that is what her momma worked best with so we will try that route first.

Beautiful horse!

You have gotten some great advice already and it looks like you are really doing your research! I think that's great!

We bought a little black and white paint when she was 1 1/2 and when we first got her she was little and cute but in a few months she went through a real "baby" stage. We'd take her out on her lead and she'd go bucking and jumping around. She was just playing, but it could certainly be a terrifying experience for the handlers! After a lot of training and ground work, she has since grown out of it and my dad just saddle broke her at the age of 4 (This past summer). He did it all himself and he has done a wonderful job, but he has done a lot of networking with trainers and he has gone to seminars and read many books. Personally, I think the horse made it easy for him! Anyways, babies are a LOT of work, but in the end they can really be worth it. Just always remember that even though she is cute, she is still a horse. Anything you may teach her now, she will remember into adulthood. Babies are incredibly inpressionable, and it is important to work with them a little each day, even if it is just getting your hands all over her. It is much easier to teach a baby to lift hooves than an adult horse!

I do agree that if this is your first horse, it would be wise to start finding a trainer. It will make it much easier for both you and the horse. Even if you just go to seminars and watch trainers work. You can really pick up a lot of information doing that. Until then, ground work, ground work, ground work!

Please take this as good advice for you, but mostly for your foal.

Young horses should never be raised alone, even by the most experienced horse people. They truly need other horses to learn about what they can and can't do.

If you haven't go see the movie BUCK. Its about a horse trainer who has to deal with a young horse, around 5 or so, who was raised for the most part alone. The horse did not respect humans, and in the end had to be euthanized. He could not be corrected.

Please send him in with another foal or two, or even with some other adult horses.
What you do now with him, may come back to haunt you. Horses are much more complex, and well, this just seems like it could end up very badly.

She sure is a cutie and looks beautiful. I hope you take the suggestions some folks gave you here. The comments of how cute, sweet, etc are not going to help you when this horse begins to develop.
On so many levels, I just cannot begin to tell you how bad this could turn out.
Horses are herd animals by nature. Yes, some horses can do well on their own, but mostly those are older horses who grew up with other horses, not foals.

I see that you have been reading about horses, thats great. I am sure you will read about how difficult it is to raise a young weanling, both for health reasons as well as behaviour development.
I have had horses for over 45 years, and would never consider raising just one. Way too many things can go wrong.

Please heed the advice from those of us who are advising you to get another horse, put this in with another foal or horse, get a trainer, etc.
Otherwise, this foal may not have the life you envision.

She looks adorable!
love.gif

I have to agree.... She NEEDS to be around other horses.

Though I hear you can't afford the upkeep of another horse at the moment. So another idea is... look for a boarding stable, or a friend or aquaitance with some horses and the facilities on their property. Or... especially if she has issues with drinking and/or eating... ask the guy you got her from to take her back for a while with the mom... and supply the feed and hay for the two of them to make it more feasable for him.

I know you want to be with your baby right now.... but that baby deserves to learn how to be a horse from a herd... not just how to be a pet from humans. If you want a well-rounded horse... like the kind a child could ride... the horse needs to learn from the herd what things in life aren't scary, what things to avoid, how to socialize... and be disciplined for bad behaviour as well. Its a lot easier for horses to teach baby horses these things than for humans to try, and fail, to substitute what the herd would provide.

But congratulations on your new baby as she is absolutely adorable!

Very cute filly and I love that name.

But as you've read here, she REALLY needs to be with another horse.
Either another foal close in age, or an older babysitter type.
And you really need a crash course on caring for such a young one.

Did the breeder give you any information - when she was weaned, what she was being fed, etc?
The fact that she is not eating hay or drinking can turn into MAJOR Red Light health issues for such a young filly.
Hopefully she has done both by now, if not you really need to address it ASAP.

You mentioned your Aunt took a baby too.
Why not keep them together?
If your place is better setup for two babies then your Aunt could contribute to the cost or the other way around if your Aunt has the better setup.
I know how much your daughter wants "her" horse at home, but you have to do what's best for the filly.

Please keep posting here.
A lot of BYCers are also knowledgeable horsepeople.

First off, let me say that Paisley is gorgeous! I am not typically a big fan on Paints but she is really quite the looker.

That said, I really agree with the other posters that she needs to be around other horses for her own mental stability. I, too, unexpectedly ended up with a weanling filly once. She was (and is) very sweet but I was fortunate enough to already have a gelding who practically adopted her. He took care of this filly like she was his own and after we introduced other horses in with them she remained his "pet." As sweet as she is, she is bullheaded and likes to have her own way. I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare she would have been if she didn't have Syd keeping her in line when she was a youngster.

If money is an issue with getting a companion horse, have you considered getting a mini or small pony? Adult pet quality minis can be found for very cheap or free. Just check out your local craigslist. Even though they are small, they won't take crap from Paisley and will teach her equine manners which will make her more mannerly for her handler--your daughter! An adult mini or small pony will get the job done and cost you so much less as far as the feed bill goes. I have three mares in my pasture right now: a 15.2 Quarter Horse, a 13.2 Quarter Pony something cross (the filly from above), and an 11.1 Welsh Pony. My Welsh eats less than an eighth of what my Quarter Horse does and guess who is the boss mare of this group? Yep. The Welsh Pony.

Horses are a LOT of fun, but boy there sure is quite a learning curve when it comes to equine management! I wish you many years of happiness on your new horsy adventure!

Back
Top Bottom