Hello

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I have had chickens since June this year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 3 mature hens and 1 rooster. 3 adolescent hens and an adolescent rooster. Also have 6 chicks hatched august 2.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I adopted them so I am not 100% certain. I believe I have an Easter egger rooster. I’m thinking the mature hens are Isa brown. The adolescents are 3 light Brahma and 1 black maren. The chicks are a cross between my rooster and one of my mature hens.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through a google search about how to treat young chicks for crop impaction. Turns out the chicks are actually okay and not impacted. Just eating like pigs. Their crops were so full it looked painful. I am here to gather information mostly and share my side of this cool interesting hobby-thanks!View attachment 3628661
View attachment 3628662View attachment 3628665View attachment 3628668
Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Welcome. Thank you for adopting. Your birds are beautiful and your pictures very well done. Because you are new to chicken keeping you probably don't know that chicken wire does not work to keep chickens safe. You will want to put 1/2 inch hardware cloth over it, and make an apron (when you extend the hardware cloth on the bottom out 18-24 inches around the perimeter) to protect from digging predators

Welcome. Thank you for adopting. Your birds are beautiful and your pictures very well done. Because you are new to chicken keeping you probably don't know that chicken wire does not work to keep chickens safe. You will want to put 1/2 inch hardware cloth over it, and make an apron (when you extend the hardware cloth on the bottom out 18-24 inches around the perimeter) to protect from digging predators
Thank you for the advice, I will be adding hardware cloth. I didn’t realize that chicken wire was insufficient until after I built my run. I buried chicken wire as well for an apron.

Back
Top Bottom