Help! 10 weekers found a new "treat"...how bad is it for them?

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
Well, first a little on the changing situation here..lol

We have the chickens (the older 10 weekers) free ranging our 3/4 acre yard all day, along with our two goats. Both the coop and goat pen are left open for them to have access to feed, etc and a shady place to cool down. We have a medium sized hay holder in the middle (ish) of our yard for the goats, along with a good size automatic water tub that both the chickens and goats use while they are roaming the yard.

Ok, so here's the problem. Our chickens have discovered that they REALLY like the goats Sweet 16 feed. We moved the goats dishes up off the ground, and that didnt deture them. Then we bought hanging buckets, but the chickens can still get into it. We cant close off the pen to the goats, or lock the goats up (WAY too hot for that as the pen has only one SMALL window/vent). We cant seperate them (like divide the yard) because the 'humans' also share the space, and that would make getting around harder.

So....how bad is the stuff for them really? They like it, but dont eat TONS of it or anything. I'm hoping its just like a 'scratch' to them and wont do them any harm. Here's the ingredients (for those of you who dont do the 'goat' thing...lol...its an all-purpose type feed for goats and some cattle and horses):

Cracked corn, Oats, Liquid Molasses, 18 1/2% Dical, TM Salt, Cattle Lac, 44% Soybean Meal

And the Analysis:

Crude Protien: 16%
Crude Fat: 3.5%
Crude Fiber: 5%

I'm not worried about the oats or corn or soybean meal, as they already get that in their organic feeds. I am more worried with the Dical (I have no idea what it is), Molasses, Salt, and Cattle Lac (which I also have no idea what it is!) Any help is appreciated!

(I also posted this in the Feeding section)

Unless it is medicated, it probably wont hurt them, but I'd still check with the manufacturer to find out what those unexplained ingredients are. Did you look online for a manufacturers website?

chel

I give sweet feed at scratch feed every day and I havent had any issue and it has a lot less corn then the sun fresh scratch

Back
Top Bottom