Help a raccoon broke in.

Quote:
Looks great! I hope you get the raccoon and get him out of your hair. I am not some animal killing enthusiast but I do worry about my birds and feel better when a known predator that is creeping around can no longer be a threat. Good luck!

I use hardware cloth, and 2"x4" woven wire over it on the lower 4' of my run/ coop. Fence staples, then 1"x4" boards screwed into the framing. No chicken wire anywhere. We learn, usually the hard way. So sorry for your loss! Mary

Yes I hope I trap the booger too and I'm going to relocate him down to the river about 10 miles away. If it was a possum it would be a different story lol!!
Thanks for the pics Mary! I still have to wire my chicken run which luckily I hadnt bought chicken wire for yet.

NEVER relocate a predator like a raccoon or opossum!!! It's illegal in many (most) states, bad for the animal, and relocates a trap wise varmit whom loves chicken. Trap and shoot, or don't trap at all. Mary

Yes I hope I trap the booger too and I'm going to relocate him down to the river about 10 miles away. If it was a possum it would be a different story lol!!
Thanks for the pics Mary! I still have to wire my chicken run which luckily I hadnt bought chicken wire for yet.
Please do not relocate him. If you're not going to kill it, don't bother trapping it. Relocation is illegal in many states because of the threat of spreading diseases like rabies and distemper from one place to another. It also does not do any good for the animal you have relocated. You're dropping it off in what's likely the territory of another raccoon that will likely try to fight it off, possibly seriously injuring or even killing it. The relocated animal has to find food and water sources and a home. It's in foreign territory so it has to find its way. If you dump it off near other people, you are now making your trap-wise animal someone else's problem. I don't appreciate people dumping off animals "out in the country" where I live. I have enough to deal with for predators without dealing with yours.

I read on another thread that a lady has had a bobcat hanging off her hardware cloth covered run
1f631.png
so I'd say it's the best bet!

Please do not relocate him. If you're not going to kill it, don't bother trapping it. Relocation is illegal in many states because of the threat of spreading diseases like rabies and distemper from one place to another. It also does not do any good for the animal you have relocated. You're dropping it off in what's likely the territory of another raccoon that will likely try to fight it off, possibly seriously injuring or even killing it. The relocated animal has to find food and water sources and a home. It's in foreign territory so it has to find its way. If you dump it off near other people, you are now making your trap-wise animal someone else's problem. I don't appreciate people dumping off animals "out in the country" where I live. I have enough to deal with for predators without dealing with yours. 

NEVER relocate a predator like a raccoon or opossum!!!  It's illegal in many (most) states, bad for the animal, and relocates a trap wise varmit whom loves chicken.  Trap and shoot, or don't trap at all.  Mary

In my state we are only allowed to kill it if we hold a hunting lic. Which I do not. I can relocate within the immediate area which is considered within 5 miles. Or I can take him to animal control who will run tests on him then put him down.
I would never drop it "out in the country" around anothers home. We have many animals end up out here due to people dropping them off, so I understand your issue. I am out in the country, my front porch over looks many acres of almond trees and cattle ground which has a big river that runs through it. Most likely where this guy orginated from. He can't live here and I would rather not kill an animal who did nothing wrong since its his instinct. Thanks for trying to make sure I was aware of laws though. Not everyone is aware of them!

Looks good! It's hard to tell from your pic but you may consider running the hardware cloth all the way to the top, if feasible. Here is my coop (unfinished at that point) with the hardware cloth installed similar to yours. I'm in a wooded area with a ton of predators and nobody has made it in yet and we're going on one year. I swear though, every single night I go down there after dark for any reason and I scare something off-usually a raccoon. Nasty little boogers.

You're on the right track, assume that anything larger than 1/2" gap will, eventually, be compromised.

Good luck!

In my state we are only allowed to kill it if we hold a hunting lic. Which I do not. I can relocate within the immediate area which is considered within 5 miles. Or I can take him to animal control who will run tests on him then put him down.
I would never drop it "out in the country" around anothers home. We have many animals end up out here due to people dropping them off, so I understand your issue. I am out in the country, my front porch over looks many acres of almond trees and cattle ground which has a big river that runs through it. Most likely where this guy orginated from. He can't live here and I would rather not kill an animal who did nothing wrong since its his instinct. Thanks for trying to make sure I was aware of laws though. Not everyone is aware of them!
What state are you in? In most every state a trapping license allows you to kill the animal too since that's what's done with the animals that have been trapped. You can't sell a fur from a live animal. Even though trapping coons may be out of season at the moment where you're at, in most cases you're allowed to kill animals threatening livestock even without a hunting license which is what happened to you. Maybe check with the your local Game and Fish first but I'm sure there'll be different rules for depredation than hunting. Nuisance trappers/pest control people remove and euthanize pests like coons all the time without a hunting license. If you don't want to kill him that's totally fine - your choice, but like the others said, please don't trap him if you're planning to release him. That's a bad scene all the way around. Just my opinion but that coon did do something wrong - he killed your bird. All predators everywhere are only doing what they're programmed to do but we have to protect the animals under our responsibility too - that's a chicken keepers instinct just like a sheep herder protects his stock from coyotes.

On another note, you're hardware cloth looks good and should provide ample protection. Like the other person said, if you haven't already, either lay down a hardware cloth skirt that's at least 2' out or bury the hardware cloth down to 18" minimum. Don't leave any openings and make sure all wood joints, etc. are very secure. Coons are some of the hardest predators to protect against. I actually put key locks on all my coops, nest boxes, and pens. I don't trust combination locks because a coon would probably figure out the combination.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom