Help!! Are these red mites or harmless clover mites?

ChickentenderNC42

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2023
I am so stressed out by this. I was cleaning the coop yesterday and noticed these tiny little mites. They’re like reddish brown color and active during the day it seems. I hosed the coop and bleached it and out DE in the cracks. I’m terrified they are red mites but maybe they are just harmless clover mites? They seem to be all over the coop so I’m afraid I’m going to have to burn the coop and start over. Help???

Attachments

• CFE04C4F-FC56-403D-9116-0731725284EB.jpeg
    CFE04C4F-FC56-403D-9116-0731725284EB.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 139
  • 7ACA81EB-B199-4FC1-85D8-B17E8D2D074E.jpeg
    7ACA81EB-B199-4FC1-85D8-B17E8D2D074E.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 99
Welcome To BYC

Hard to tell what that is.

For me, if I see bugs in the coop, I use Permethrin based poultry spray to treat housing.
Look through your hens feathers and see if there's any evidence of lice or mite activity. Dust the birds with Permethrin based poultry dust.

Welcome To BYC

Hard to tell what that is.

For me, if I see bugs in the coop, I use Permethrin based poultry spray to treat housing.
Look through your hens feathers and see if there's any evidence of lice or mite activity. Dust the birds with Permethrin based poultry dust.
Thanks. I ordered permethrin spray and was going to use it today. Maybe I need to go to the feed store and buy the dust too?

That's up to you.
You can use the spray on the birds too, I just personally prefer the dust. I put it in a sock, then use that like a powder puff to dust the birds, working the powder down through the feathers to the skin. For me, dust is easier to apply to the birds than spray. For housing, spray is easier to use since you can cover larger areas.

That's up to you.
You can use the spray on the birds too, I just personally prefer the dust. I put it in a sock, then use that like a powder puff to dust the birds, working the powder down through the feathers to the skin. For me, dust is easier to apply to the birds than spray. For housing, spray is easier to use since you can cover larger areas.
Thank you. I’m going to use the spray for the interior of the coop and then get the dust when I can get to a tractor supply. I live far from one.

Back
Top Bottom